Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Business License Required:
(1) Conducted As Business: No person, company, corporation or other entity shall engage in the business of collecting, gathering or transporting, in the Village, any garbage, ashes, manure or miscellaneous waste for compensation or otherwise without first having obtained license so to do, under penalty as provided for violation of this Code.
(2) Removal By Owner: Provided, that any person may gather, remove, and dispose of garbage, decaying animal matter, manure, swill or other animal or vegetable refuse and waste from that person's own premises.
(3) Violation; Penalty: Violation of this Section or any other provision of this Chapter shall constitute an offense, punishable by a fine not to exceed two hundred dollars ($200.00). Each day that any violation of this Chapter occurs shall constitute a separate offense, punishable by the maximum fine established herein.
B. Number Of Scavengers:
(1) Residential Service: The Village shall issue no more than one license for residential service. "Residential service" is hereby defined as scavenger service to single-family detached units and all other buildings containing up to two (2) dwelling units.
(2) Commercial Service: The Village shall issue no more than three (3) licenses for commercial service. "Commercial service" is hereby defined as all scavenger service that is not residential service.
(3) Issuance Of License: All licenses shall be issued upon application and subsequent approval by the Village Board. The Village Board shall have the right to approve or reject any application for either residential or commercial scavenger licenses. (Ord. 93-04-02)
C. Term Of License: A license for the business of scavenger may be issued for a term in excess of an annual period, but shall not exceed a five (5) year period from date of issue, and shall expire at the end of the time period specified therein. (Ord. 514)