Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) The use of sound vehicles and loud speakers shall be prohibited within the city except as provided in this section. A sound vehicle or loud speaker may be used upon a permit having first been granted by the city and subject to the provision that in no event shall any sound vehicles or loud speakers be used within the city in such manner or at such time or place as will constitute an annoyance to the public in general or to those persons, firms or corporations engaged in lawful pursuits in the proximity of the area where the sound vehicle or loud speaker is used.
(B) It shall be unlawful for any person at any time to willfully or maliciously disturb the public peace or quietude by creating any noise of such character or duration as to be loud and unnecessary to a person of ordinary sensibilities. Such noises shall include, but not be limited to, the following:
(1) The sounding of a horn, or a similar device, on any vehicle, except as a danger signal;
(2) The playing of any television, radio, phonograph, tape recorder, CD player or any musical instrument in any manner at such a volume that annoys or disturbs the peace and quiet of any person within another dwelling or structure;
(3) The discharging of the exhaust of any internal combustion engine or motor vehicle, except through a muffler or other device which will effectively prevent loud or explosive noises; and
(4) The playing of any radio, tape player, or compact disc player, or any other similar device designed to emit an audio signal, from a motor vehicle at such a volume that annoys or disturbs the peace of any person within another motor vehicle or the public at large; and
(5) The creation of any of the above stated noises at such a level to be plainly audible at a distance of 50 feet from the exterior of the building, structure, motor vehicle within which the sound originates, or other location from which the sound originates shall be prima facie evidence of a violation of this section.
(`83 Code, § 10-309) (Am. Ord. 2008-01, passed 1-22-08) Penalty, see § 10.99