Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) The City Manager shall be the chief administrative officer of the City, responsible to the Council for the administration of all City affairs placed in the City Manager's charge by or under this Charter.
(B) The City Manager shall:
(1) Appoint and, when necessary for the good of the service, suspend, demote or remove any or all heads of administrative departments and other administrative officers and employees of the City, except as otherwise provided by this Charter. The City Manager or the Council by ordinance may authorize the head of a department, an officer or the head of an agency to appoint, suspend, demote or remove subordinates in such department, office or agency, subject to such merit system regulations as the Council may ordain;
(2) Supervise and control, directly or indirectly, all administrative officers, agencies and employees;
(3) Prepare a budget annually and submit it to the Councils be responsible for the administration of the budget after it goes into effect, and recommend to the Council any changes in the budget which he deems desirable;
(4) Submit to the Council a report at the end of each fiscal year on the finances and administrative activities of the City for the preceding year;
(5) Keep the Council advised of the financial condition and future needs of the City, and make such recommendations as may seem to him desirable;
(6) Make such other reports as the City Council may require concerning the operations of City departments, offices and agencies subject to the City Manager's direction and supervision, and long-range planning (5-10 years) for all services and programs provided by the City;
(7) Attend all City Council meetings. The City Manager shall have the right to take part in all discussion, but shall not vote;
(8) Perform such other duties as this Charter may prescribe and such duties as the City Council may prescribe, consistent with this Charter.
(Amended by Res. 2002-15, passed 9-3-02 and approved by the Electorate November 4, 2002)