Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Except as otherwise provided by Nevada Revised Statutes 485.187(5), the owner of a motor vehicle shall not upon a highway of this county:
1. Operate the motor vehicle, if it is registered or required to be registered in the state of Nevada, without having insurance as required by Nevada Revised Statutes 485.185.
2. Operate or knowingly permit the operation of the motor vehicle without having evidence of insurance of the operator or the vehicle in the vehicle.
3. Fail or refuse to surrender, upon demand, to a peace officer or to an authorized representative of the department of motor vehicles of the state of Nevada the evidence of insurance.
4. Knowingly permit the operation of the motor vehicle in violation of subsection 3 of Nevada Revised Statutes 485.186.
B. A person shall not operate the motor vehicle of another person unless:
1. He first ensures that the required evidence of insurance is present in the motor vehicle; or
2. He has his own evidence of insurance which covers him as the operator of the motor vehicle.
C. Any person who violates subsection A or B of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor. Except as otherwise provided in this subsection, in addition to any other penalty, a person sentenced pursuant to this subsection shall be punished by a fine of not less than six hundred dollars ($600.00) nor more than one thousand dollars ($1,000.00) for each violation. The fine must be reduced by one hundred dollars ($100.00) for the first violation of the person unless:
1. The person has registered the vehicle as part of a fleet of vehicles pursuant to subsection 5 of Nevada Revised Statutes 482.215; or
2. The person has been issued a certificate of self-insurance pursuant to Nevada Revised Statutes 485.380.
D. A court:
1. Shall not find a person guilty or fine a person for violation of subsection A1, A2, or A3 of this section or for a violation of subsection B of this section if he presents evidence to the court that the insurance required by Nevada Revised Statutes 485.185 was in effect at the time demand was made for it.
2. Except as otherwise provided in subsection D1 of this section, may impose a fine of not more than one thousand dollars ($1,000.00) for a violation of subsection A1, A2, or A3 of this section, and suspend the balance of the fine on the condition that the person presents proof to the court each month for twelve (12) months that the insurance required by Nevada Revised Statutes 485.185 is currently in effect.
E. The provisions of subsections A2 and A3 of this section do not apply if the motor vehicle in question displays a valid permit issued by the department pursuant to subsection 1 or 2 of Nevada Revised Statutes 482.3955, or 482.396 or 482.3965 authorizing the movement or operation of that vehicle within the state for a limited time. (Bill 2009-E, 2009)