Skip to code content (skip section selection)
* Editor’s note – Title 14F was added by Coun. J. 4-10-19, p. 100029, Art. VII, § 1.
Ch. 14F-1 Scope and Purpose
Ch. 14F-2 Definitions
Ch. 14F-3 Reserved
Ch. 14F-4 Reserved
Ch. 14F-5 Reserved
Ch. 14F-6 Building Services and Systems
Ch. 14F-7 Fire and Smoke Protection Features
Ch. 14F-8 Reserved
Ch. 14F-9 Reserved
Ch. 14F-10 Means of Egress
Ch. 14F-11 Construction Requirements in Existing Buildings
Ch. 14F-12 Energy Systems
Ch. 14F-13 Interim Fire Prevention Code
Ch. 14F-31 Tents, Temporary Special Event Structures and Other Membrane Structures
Ch. 14F-33 Fire Safety During Construction and Demolition
14F-1-001 Partial adoption of the International Fire Code by reference.
14F-1-003 Global modifications.
14F-1-100 Chapter 1.
The International Fire Code, 2018 edition, second printing, and all erratum thereto identified by the publisher (hereinafter referred to as “IFC”) is adopted by reference to the extent specified in this title and shall be considered part of the requirements of this title except as modified by the specific provisions of this title.
If a conflict exists between a provision modified by this title and a provision adopted without modification, the modified provision shall control.
Provisions of IFC which are incorporated into this title by reference may be cited as follows:
14F-[IFC chapter number]-[IFC section number]
The following modifications shall apply to each provision of IFC incorporated into this title:
1. Replace each occurrence of “International Codes” with “Chicago Construction Codes.”
2. Replace each occurrence of “International Building Code” with “Chicago Building Code.”
3. Replace each occurrence of “ASME A17.1” or “ASME A17.1/CSA B44” with “the Chicago Conveyance Device Code.”
4. Replace each occurrence of “NFPA 70” with “the Chicago Electrical Code.”
5. Replace each occurrence of “International Fire Code” with “Chicago Fire Prevention Code.”
6. Replace each occurrence of “International Fuel Gas Code” with “Chicago Fuel Gas Code.”
7. Replace each occurrence of “International Mechanical Code” with “Chicago Mechanical Code.”
8. Replace each occurrence of “International Energy Conservation Code” with “Chicago Energy Conservation Code.”
9. Replace each occurrence of “International Plumbing Code” with “Chicago Plumbing Code.”
10. Replace each occurrence of “International Existing Building Code” with “Chicago Building Rehabilitation Code.”
11. Replace each occurrence of “International Property Maintenance Code” with “Chicago Minimum Requirements for Existing Buildings.”
12. Delete each bracketed designation of ICC code development committee responsibility preceding a section number.
The provisions of Chapter 1 of IFC are not adopted. The following is adopted as Chapter 1:
“CHAPTER 1. SCOPE AND PURPOSE
This Title 14F of the Municipal Code of Chicago shall be known as the Chicago Fire Prevention Code, hereinafter referred to as “this code.”
The provisions of this code shall apply to matters affecting or relating to protecting people and structures from the hazards of fire and explosion arising from the storage, handling, or use of specialized structures, materials, or devices; conditions unusually hazardous to life, property, or public welfare in the occupancy of structures or premises; and the maintenance and operation of fire protection and life safety systems.
The purpose of this code is to establish the minimum requirements for providing a reasonable level of life safety and property protection from the hazards of fire, explosion or dangerous conditions in new and existing buildings, structures and premises, and to provide a reasonable level of safety to fire fighters and emergency responders during emergency operations.”