Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Scope and responsibility. The owner of a building in which there is a rental dwelling unit shall provide and maintain plumbing facilities and fixtures in compliance with the requirements of this section. A person shall not rent to another for occupancy or use any structure or portion thereof or premises which do not comply with such requirements.
(B) Required facilities. Every rental dwelling unit shall have its own plumbing facilities which are in proper operating condition, which can be used in privacy and which are adequate for personal cleanliness and the disposal of human waste. All plumbing facilities shall be supplied and maintained in a sanitary and safe working condition.
(C) Water closet and lavatory. Every rental dwelling unit shall contain within its walls a room, separate from habitable rooms, which room affords privacy and a water closet supplied with cold running water. The lavatory may be placed in the same room as the water closet or, if located in another room, the lavatory shall be located in close proximity to the door leading directly into the room in which such water closet is located. The lavatory shall be supplied with hot and cold running water.
(D) Bathtub or shower. Every rental dwelling unit shall contain a room which affords privacy to a person in such room and which is equipped with a bathtub or shower supplied with hot and cold running water.
(E) Kitchen sink. Every rental dwelling unit shall contain a kitchen sink apart from the lavatory required under this section, and such sink shall be supplied with hot and cold running water.
(F) Rooming houses. At least one water closet, lavatory basin and bathtub or shower, properly connected to an approved water and sewerage system and in good working condition, shall be supplied for each four rooms within a rooming house wherever such facilities are shared. Every lavatory basin and bathtub or shower shall be supplied with hot and cold water at all times. A kitchen sink need not be provided for rental dwelling units in a rooming house.
(G) Water system.
(1) Generally. Every sink, lavatory, bathtub, shower, drinking fountain, water closet or other facility shall be properly connected to either a public water system or to an approved private water system. All lavatories, bathtubs, showers and required sinks shall be supplied with hot and cold running water.
(2) Contamination. The water supply shall be maintained free from contamination, and all water inlets for plumbing fixtures shall be located above the overflow rim of the fixture.
(3) Supply. The water supply system shall be installed and maintained to provide at all times a supply of water to plumbing fixtures, devices and appurtenances in sufficient volume and at pressures adequate to enable them to function satisfactorily.
(4) Water heating facilities. Where hot water is provided, water heating facilities shall be installed in an approved manner, properly maintained and properly connected with hot water lines to the fixtures required to be supplied with the hot water. Water heating facilities shall be capable of heating water to such a temperature as to permit an adequate amount of water to be drawn at every required kitchen sink, lavatory basin, bathtub, shower, laundry facility or other similar unit at a temperature of not less than 110º F (43.33º C).
(H) Sewerage system.
(1) Every sink, lavatory, bathtub, shower, drinking fountain, water closet or other facility shall be properly connected to either a public sewerage system or to an approved private sewage disposal system.
(2) Every plumbing stack, waste and sewer line shall be so installed and maintained as to function properly and shall be kept free from obstructions, leaks and defects to prevent structural deterioration or health hazards. All repairs and installations shall be made in accordance with the state construction code.
(Ord. passed 10-13-98) Penalty, see § 97.99