For the purpose of this chapter the following definitions shall apply, unless the context clearly indicates or requires a different meaning.
   APPROVED.  Approved by the local or state authority having administrative authority.
   BUILDING.  A structure or part thereof.
   DWELLING UNIT.  Any room or group of rooms located within a dwelling and forming a single habitable unit with facilities which are used or intended to be used for living, sleeping, cooking or eating.
   EMERGENCY ESCAPE WINDOW OR DOOR.  An outside window or door, operable from the inside without the use of tools, and providing a clear opening of not less than 20 inches (50.8 cm) in width, 24 inches (61 cm) in height and 5.7 square feet (.53 sq. m) in area. The bottom of the opening shall not be more than 44 inches (112 cm) off the floor. Such means of escape shall be acceptable if:
      (1)   The window is within 20 feet (6.1 m) of the grade.
      (2)   The window is directly accessible to an approved rescue apparatus.
      (3)   The window or door opens onto an exterior balcony.
   HABITABLE ROOM.  A room or enclosed floor space used or intended to be used for living, sleeping, cooking or eating purposes, excluding bathrooms, water closet compartments, laundries, furnace rooms, pantries, kitchenettes and utility rooms of less than 50 square feet of floor space, foyers or communicating corridors, stairways, closets, storage spaces and workshops.
   HOUSING ADMINISTRATOR.  The City Manager or Director of the Department of Public Safety or any person appointed by the City Manager who is charged with the administration of this chapter, or the Housing Administrator's duly authorized representative.
   OCCUPANT.  Any person over one year of age living, sleeping, cooking or eating in, or having actual possession of, a dwelling unit or a rooming unit.
   OWNER.  Any person who has equitable or legal title to any premises, dwelling or dwelling unit.
   PREMISES.  A platted lot or part thereof, or an unplatted lot, parcel of land or plot of land, either occupied or unoccupied by any dwelling or non-dwelling structure, and includes any building, accessory structure or other structure thereon.
   RENTAL DWELLING UNIT.  All dwellings, dwelling units and habitable rooms which are leased or otherwise made available for rental purposes, except:
      (1)   Hotels and motels;
      (2)   Any dwelling unit or mobile home which the state has exclusive authority under state law to inspect and regulate;
      (3)   The principal residence of the owner which is temporarily occupied by persons other than the owner for not more than two years; and
      (4)   Dwellings in a dormitory operated by an institution of higher education.
   RENTER.  Any person who, alone or jointly or severally with others, has the right to occupy a premises and pays compensation therefor, and includes a tenant.
   ROOMING HOUSE.  A residential building where rooms or suites of rooms are rented and where the renters use common facilities, such as hallways and bathrooms. A rooming house shall not include hotels, motels, apartment houses, two- and multi-family dwellings or fraternity and sorority houses.
   STRUCTURE.  Anything constructed or erected, the use of which requires a more or less permanent location on the ground or an attachment to something having a permanent location on the ground, including, but not limited to, advertising signs, billboards, back stops for tennis courts and pergolas.
(Ord. passed 10-13-98)