Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) The powers and duties of the City Manager, as the director of Civil Defense, shall consist of the following.
(1) The City Manager shall coordinate the civil defense activities and make emergency assignments of civil defense duties and civil defense forces in order to meet the situations not covered in the normal duties of such forces.
(2) The City Manager may take all necessary action to conduct tests of the civil defense and natural disaster plans.
(3) When a state of emergency has been declared, the City Manager shall assemble and utilize civil defense forces and prescribe the manner and conditions of their use.
(4) The City Manager shall designate a line of succession among his or her department heads to carry out the powers and duties of this division (A) in the event of his or her absence or his or her inability to serve.
(5) The City Manager shall be responsible for public relations, information and education regarding all phases of civil defense.
(6) The City Manager shall be responsible for the development of a civil defense and disaster control plan and upon adoption, shall be responsible for such implementation and revision of the plan as to maintain it in a current state of readiness at all times.
(7) The City Manager shall maintain liaison and cooperate with all other interested and affected agencies, public and private.
(8) The City Manager shall coordinate the recruitment and training of volunteer personnel and agencies to augment the personnel and facilities of the city for civil defense purposes.
(B) The City Manager is hereby authorized to exercise the powers granted to the Mayor in § 32.017 of this chapter, either in the absence or inability to serve of the Mayor and Deputy Mayor or where delay in the exercise of such powers would be contrary to the public interest.
(Prior Code, § 1.205)