Skip to code content (skip section selection)
Site plan review shall be required, as applicable, under the following conditions, or under other circumstances required by the City of Charlevoix Zoning Ordinance or other applicable law, unless exempted by § 153.232.
(A) Level “A” review. The Zoning Administrator shall review site plans in connection with the creation of a use or the erection of a building or structure in any of the following circumstances:
(1) Any use permitted by right within any zoning district, if the proposed building is less than 2,000 square feet;
(2) Additions to existing buildings in any zoning district; provided, the addition is not larger than 20% of the area of the building prior to the expansion or more than 2,000 square feet in area, whichever is less;
(3) Changes in the use of any existing building in any zoning district; provided, the use is permitted by right in that zoning district; and
(4) When, in the opinion of the Zoning Administrator, a project which otherwise qualifies for level “A” site plan review may have a significant impact on surrounding properties or the city, the Zoning Administrator may, at their sole discretion, submit the site plan to the Planning Commission for review. In such cases, the Planning Commission shall follow the review procedure for level “B” site plans and may require any additional information needed to make an informed decision.
(B) Level “B” review. The Planning Commission shall act upon all site plans, other than those provided for level “A” review, in connection with the creation of a use or the erection of a building or structure in any of the following circumstances:
(1) Any “permitted” use within any zoning district occupying a building of 2,000 square feet or more;
(2) Any special use in any district;
(3) Any planned unit development;
(4) Any site plan on a waterfront parcel. A waterfront parcel is a parcel of land, or a portion thereof, abutting a water body; and
(5) As otherwise required by this chapter.
(Prior Code, § 5.116) (Ord. 791, passed 3-19-2018; Ord. 822, passed 10-19-2020)