Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Residential generation sites. Commencing on the effective date of the contract between the city and the designated waste hauler, collection and disposal of solid waste, recyclable materials, yard clippings and bulk items from residential generation sites shall be in accordance with the following provisions.
(1) Except as set forth in this section, no person shall dispose of any waste generated from a residential generation site within the city other than by means of the designated waste hauler contracted by the city for such purpose.
(2) The designated waste hauler shall deliver solid waste to a designated facility for disposal of such materials.
(3) Except as set forth in this section, no waste hauler, except the designated waste hauler, shall engage in the business of collection, transporting, delivery or disposal of waste generated by residential generation sites within the city.
(4) The designated waste hauler shall comply with Public Act 451 of 1994, being M.C.L.A. §§ 324.101 et seq., as applicable, and all applicable federal, state and county laws, local ordinances and rules and regulations in the collection, transportation and delivery of waste.
(5) No person shall knowingly place hazardous waste at curbside or other designated locations for collection, and the designated waste hauler shall not knowingly collect or deliver hazardous waste to a processing or disposal site.
(a) Yard clippings in § 51.06(D) of this chapter;
(b) Compost in accordance with § 51.06(C) of this chapter;
(c) A generator of waste’s own waste transported by the generator of waste to a designated facility or waste not accepted by the designated waste hauler and accepted by a specialty waste hauler;
(d) Bulk yard clipping collection by the city pursuant to rules and regulations of the city;
(e) Solid waste collected from units in a condominium where the association for the condominium has entered into an agreement with a waste hauler for the collection of solid waste, recyclable materials, yard clippings or bulk items for those units;
(f) Solid waste, recyclable materials, yard clippings or bulk items collected pursuant to a prepaid agreement with a waste hauler entered into prior to the effective date of this section until the expiration of the prepaid agreement or one month after the effective date of the contract between the city and the designated waste hauler, whichever occurs first; and
(g) Construction and demolition debris in excess of one cubic yard.
(B) Rates, charges, and payments for solid waste and recycling collection and disposal services. The designated waste hauler shall charge fees for collection and disposal of waste and shall bill for such services in accordance with the following.
(1) The designated waste hauler shall charge fees for collection and disposal of waste placed for collection as set forth in the contract between the designated waste hauler and the city.
(2) The designated waste hauler shall send a quarterly invoice, in advance, to each residential generation site for which services are provided in the city. Such invoice shall represent charges for services to be rendered in the following quarter.
(3) Unless otherwise specified by the city, the invoice shall be delivered by regular mail at least three weeks prior to the beginning of the quarter for which charges are imposed.
(Prior Code, § 2.8) (Ord. 792, passed 3-19-2018) Penalty, see § 51.99