Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Historic preservation is hereby declared to be a public purpose and the City Council may hereby regulate the construction, addition, alteration, repair, moving, excavation and demolition of resources in historic districts within the city limits.
(B) The purpose of this chapter is to:
(1) Safeguard the heritage of the city by preserving districts which reflect elements of its history, architecture, archaeology, engineering or culture;
(2) Stabilize and improve property values in each district and surrounding areas;
(3) Foster civic beauty;
(4) Strengthen the local economy;
(5) Promote the use of historic districts for the education, pleasure and welfare of the citizens of the city and of the state; and
(6) Investigate and advocate the nomination of properties within the city for listing in the National Register of Historic Places.
(C) The city may, by ordinance, establish one or more historic districts. The historic district(s) shall be administered by the Historic District Commission and pursuant to this chapter.
(Prior Code, § 1.502) (Ord. 706, passed 10-17-2005; Ord. 751, passed 7-18-2011; Ord. 783, passed 9-6-2017)