Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) For the purpose of this section, the following definition shall apply unless the context clearly indicates or requires a different meaning.
SINGLE-FAMILY DWELLING. A detached building designed for or occupied by one family exclusively.
(B) A single-family dwelling is permitted only in the districts designated in division (B)(2) below and provided it is located on one of the following:
(1) A lot which was in single ownership or included in a subdivision recorded in the office of the Recorder of the county on or before 5-27-1957; and/or
(2) Any lot with a minimum area and width as follows:
(in square feet)
C, LB, GB and RI
(C) The height of buildings for single-family dwellings shall be as follows.
(1) Principal building. Normal maximum shall be 35 feet or two and one-half stories.
(2) Conditional exception. The height of the principal building may be increased above 35 feet, but not higher than 45 feet or three stories, if two side yards of 15 feet each are provided.
(D) Yard sizes for single-family dwellings shall be as follows:
(1) Front yard: 20% of the average depth of lots in the block;
(2) Side yard: the sum of the side yards shall equal not less than 20% of the lot width with a minimum width of ten feet for either side yard; and
(3) Rear yard: 15% of the depth of the lot, with a minimum depth of 15 feet.
(E) The ground floor area for a single-family dwelling shall be not less than the following:
Ground Floor Area
S, A and B
720 sq. ft.
C, LB, GB and RI
672 sq. ft.
(F) The lot coverage for a single-family dwelling shall be 40% maximum on a corner lot and 35% maximum on an interior lot.
(G) Uses permitted for accessory buildings for a single-family dwelling shall be a private garage or storage exclusive of industrial or commercial use; quarters for bona-fide servants employed by the occupants of the dwelling on the same lot, but only on the second floor of the building; and one guest house with cooking facilities on lots containing not less than 12,000 square feet.
(Prior Code, § 154.045) (Ord. 1-1957, passed 5-27-1957; Ord. 1992-3, passed 12-1-1992) Penalty, see § 154.999