Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Definitions. For purposes of this section, PERSONAL WATERCRAFT shall be defined as in G.S. § 75A-13.3(a).
(B) Operator. The restrictions for operation of a personal watercraft shall be as described in G.S. § 75A-13.3(b), except that only persons at least 13 years of age but under 16 years of age may operate personal watercraft pursuant to subparagraphs (1) and (2) of that Statute.
(C) Speed. In all Brunswick County waters, no person may operate a person watercraft in excess of headway speed, which shall not exceed six mph:
(1) Within 50 feet of posted waterbird sanctuaries or management areas.
(2) Within 25 feet of the Marsh or shore within the Intracoastal Waterway.
(D) Wildlife. In accordance with G.S. § 113-291.1, it shall be unlawful for an operator of a personal watercraft on the waters in Brunswick County to chase, harass, molest, or disturb any wildlife except when lawfully angling for, hunting or trapping such wildlife.
(E) Sale. At the time of purchase, a dealer in personal watercraft shall require the buyer of a personal watercraft to receive instruction addressing safe operation of the watercraft.
(F) Lease. A personal watercraft livery owner or the livery owner’s agent or employee shall:
(1) Require positive identification from all renters;
(2) Post personal watercraft regulations;
(3) Require all renters to read the regulations;
(4) Require all renters to sign a rental contract, containing a clause stating that the renter has read and understood all applicable safety regulations;
(5) Instruct all renters in the safe operation of the personal watercraft.
(G) Penalty. Any person who shall violate the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 3 misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not more than $500 or imprisonment for not more than 20 days, in the discretion of the Court, as provided by G.S. § 14-4.
(Ord. passed 5-11-00)