Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Sketch plan for minor subdivisions: requirements for developer. Prior to submission of a final plat, the subdivider shall submit to the Subdivision Administrator two copies of a sketch plan of the proposed subdivision containing the following information:
(1) A sketch vicinity map showing the location of the subdivision in relation to neighboring tracts, subdivisions, roads, and waterways;
(2) The boundaries of the tract and the portion of the tract to be subdivided;
(3) The total acreage to be subdivided;
(4) The existing and proposed use of the land within the subdivision and the exiting uses of landing adjoining it;
(5) The existing street layout and right-of-way width;
(6) Proposed lot layout and size of lots;
(7) The name, address, and telephone number of the owner;
(8) The name, if any, of the proposed subdivision;
(9) Streets and lots of adjacent developed or plated properties;
(10) The zoning classification of the tract and of adjacent properties;
(11) A statement from the Brunswick County Health Department that a copy of the sketch plan has been submitted to them, if a septic tank system or other onsite water or wastewater system is to be used in the subdivision;
(12) Location of any protected wetlands;
(13) Submission of the sketch plan shall be accompanied by a filing fee as required in § 152.36. The fee schedule shall be set by the Town Council and available at the Town Hall. The Subdivision Administrator shall review the sketch plan for general compliance with the requirements of this chapter and the zoning ordinance. The Subdivision Administrator shall advise the subdivider or his authorized agent of the regulations pertaining to the proposed subdivision and the procedures to be followed in the preparation and submission of the final plat. One copy of the sketch plan shall be retained by the Subdivision Administrator, and one copy shall be returned to the subdivider or his authorized agent.
(B) Final plat for minor subdivisions.
(1) Upon approval of the sketch plan by the Subdivision Administrator the subdivider may proceed with the preparation of the final plat in accordance with the requirements of this chapter. The subdivider shall submit the final plat, so marked, to the Subdivision Administrator for final plat approval within 15 working days.
(2) The final plat shall be prepared by a registered land surveyor currently licensed and registered in the State of North Carolina by the North Carolina State Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors, which cost shall be borne by the applicant. The final plat shall conform to the provisions for plats, subdivision, and mapping requirements set forth in G.S. § 47-30 and the Manual of Practice for Land Surveying in North Carolina.
(3) Three paper copies of the final plat shall be submitted according to the requirements of § 152.34. Material and drawing medium for the original shall be in accordance with the Manual of Practice for Land Surveying in North Carolina, where applicable, and the requirements of the Brunswick County Register of Deeds.
(4) The Final Plat shall meet the specifications in § 152.34 and the checklist table provided in Appendix: Checklist for Preliminary Plat and Final Plat to this chapter.
(5) The following signed certificates shall appear on all three copies of the final plat:
(a) Certificate of Ownership and Dedication.
I hereby certify that I am the owner of the property shown and described hereon, which is located in the subdivision jurisdiction of the Town of Caswell Beach and that I hereby adopt this plan of subdivision with my free consent and establish minimum building setback lines as noted.
(b) Certificate of Survey and Accuracy.
1. In accordance with the Manual of Practice for Land Surveying in North Carolina: On the face of each map prepared for recordation there shall appear a certificate acknowledged before an officer authorized to take acknowledgments and executed by the person making the survey or map including deeds and any recorded data shown thereon. The certificate shall include a statement of error of closure calculated by latitudes and departures. Any lines on the map which were not actually surveyed must be clearly indicated on the map and a statement included in the certificate revealing the source of information.
2. The certificate shall take the following general form:
State of North Carolina, Brunswick County, Town of Caswell Beach
I hereby certify that this map was (drawn by me) (drawn under my supervision) from (an actual survey made by me) (an actual survey made under my supervision) (deed description recorded in Book , Page , of the Brunswick County Registry) (other); that the error of closure as calculated by latitudes and departures is 1: ; that the boundaries not surveyed are shown as broken lines plotted from information found in Book , Page ; and that this plat was prepared in accordance with G.S. § 47-30, as amended.
Witness my original signature, registration number, and seal this day of , 20 .
Registered Land Surveyor
Official Seal or Stamp
(6) Following the review by the Subdivision Administrator, the final plat shall be approved, conditionally approved with modifications to bring the plat into compliance, or disapproved with reason, within 45 days of its first consideration of the plat.
(7) During the review of the final plat the Subdivision Administrator may appoint an engineer or surveyor to confirm the accuracy of the final plat (if agreed to by the Town Council). If substantial errors are found, the costs shall be charged to the subdivider and the plat shall not be approved until such errors have been corrected.
(8) If the final plat is approved, such approval shall be shown on each copy of the plat by the following signed certificate.
(9) Certificate of Approval for Recording.
I hereby certify that the subdivision plat shown hereon has been found to comply with the Subdivision Regulations of the Town of Caswell Beach, North Carolina and that this plat has been approved for recording in the office of the Brunswick County Register of Deeds within 60 days of the date below.
Caswell Beach, North Carolina
(10) If the final plat is disapproved the reasons for such disapproval shall be stated in writing, specifying the provisions of this chapter with which the final plat does not comply. One copy of the statement of reasons and two copies of the plat, shall be returned to the subdivider. If the final plat is disapproved, the subdivider may make such changes as will bring the final plat into compliance and resubmit same for reconsideration, or appeal the decision to the Board of Adjustments.
(11) If the final plat is approved, one original reproducible copy shall be filed with the Register of Deeds. One original reproducible copy and one print shall be retained by the Subdivision Administrator for his records.
(12) The subdivider shall file the approved final plat with the Register of Deeds of Brunswick County within 60 days of the approval; otherwise such approval shall be null and void.
(Ord. passed 9-8-83; Am. Res. passed 4-8-10)