Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(1) As provided in the applicable sections of Md. Code, Land Use Article, as amended, any person, firm, or corporation violating any provisions of this chapter shall be fined not more than $1,000.
(2) Each and every day during which such illegal location, erection, construction, reconstruction, enlargement, change, maintenance, or use continues may be deemed a separate offense.
(3) In accordance with Md. Code, Land Use Article, § 14.03, an assessment for abatement by the County Commissioners of a zoning violation may be added to the annual property tax bill for the property on which the violation was abated to be collected in the same manner as ordinary taxes are collected.
(B) Civil penalties.
(1) Fines shall be imposed based upon the following schedule:
(a) First offense: $50;
(b) Second offense: $100;
(c) Third offense: $200; and
(d) Subsequent offenses: $500 each.
(2) A fine may be imposed for each day a violation exists, as each day the violation exists is a separate offense.
(3) Failure to correct a violation after expiration of the time period for correction stated in a citation is a separate offense.
(4) Any person who receives a citation for a zoning violation which imposes a fine shall pay the fine as set forth on the citation, within 15 days after receipt of the citation, to the County Commissioners, Collections Office, 225 North Center Street, Westminster, Maryland, 21157.
(5) Any person who fails to pay a fine imposed under this section within 15 days after the date notice was sent to such person pursuant to Md. Code, Land Use Article, § 11.205, shall be liable for twice the fine which that person had failed to pay.
(C) Settlements. The County Attorney, or a lawyer on the staff of or assigned by the County Attorney, shall prosecute all civil zoning violations with full authority to settle such violations, including the power to enter into agreements on behalf of the county to resolve the violation, and the power to dismiss the citation.
(Ord. 2019-06, passed 12-12-2019)