Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Priority. The priority for afforestation and reforestation, after techniques for retaining existing forest on the site have been exhausted, is as follows.
(1) On site afforestation or reforestation:
(a) On site afforestation or reforestation, if technically feasible, using natural regeneration or nursery stock which meets the requirements of the Technical Manual; and
(b) In areas zoned for commercial or industrial use, off site afforestation or reforestation within the county, using natural regeneration or nursery stock which meets the requirements of the Technical Manual.
(2) Off site afforestation or reforestation within the county, using natural regeneration or nursery stock which meets the requirements of the Technical Manual.
(B) Order of priority. Reforestation or afforestation shall, if technically feasible, be conducted in the following order of priority:
(1) To establish or enhance forest buffers adjacent to streams and wetlands;
(2) To establish or increase existing forested corridors to connect existing forests within or adjacent to the site to facilitate wildlife movement;
(3) To establish or enhance forest buffers adjacent to critical habitats where appropriate;
(4) To stabilize slopes of 25% or greater and slopes of 15% or greater with a Soil K value greater than 0.35 including the slopes of ravines or other natural depressions;
(5) To establish buffers between areas of differing land uses where appropriate; and
(6) To establish forest areas adjacent to existing forests so as to increase the overall area of contiguous forest cover, where appropriate.
(C) Time frames.
(1) Any planting areas proposed outside the approved limits of disturbance may be planted upon approval of the FCP.
(2) A person required to conduct afforestation or reforestation on-site under this subchapter shall accomplish the afforestation or reforestation contemporaneous with removal of sediment control devices.
(3) A person authorized to conduct afforestation or reforestation off site shall accomplish the afforestation or reforestation within one year or two growing seasons of the issuance of the grading permit.
(2004 Code, § 115-10) (Ord. 98-4, passed 11-18-1998; Ord. 02-03, passed 3-14-2002; Ord. 03-04, passed 1-30-2003; Ord. 04-05, passed 4-1-2004; Ord. 2011-03, passed 5-17-2011; Ord. 2022-11, passed 8-25-2022)