Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Uses permitted:
(1) Any use permitted in a General Business District (B-2) with the exception of the uses prohibited in division (B) below; and
(2) Signs, awnings or marquees projecting beyond the street right-of-way line provided the following conditions are met:
(a) They do not extend more than four and one-half feet into the street right-of-way or closer than one foot to the carriage way;
(b) The vertical distance from the sidewalk to any portion of a projecting sign or marquee is at least nine feet and to any portion of an awning is at least seven feet;
(c) They are not fixed or supported by a beam, post or pier into the sidewalk or carriage-way; and
(d) A building permit is obtained to erect or install the sign, marquee or awning.
(3) Added commercial uses:
(a) Retail malt beverage sales (but not permitted in showcase area);
(b) Retail package liquor sales (but not permitted in showcase area);
(c) Tavern (but not permitted in showcase area). Note potential application of special compatibility standards as set forth herein if adjoining certain property in residential zone classification;
(d) Table restaurant SA (but not permitted in showcase area); and
(e) Small winery or microbrewery (upon CUP approval per zoning ordinance, except not allowable in showcase area).
(B) Uses prohibited:
(1) Any use prohibited in a General Business District (B-2);
(2) Trailer parks, free standing billboards, wholesale businesses, hospitals and nursing homes, funeral homes and undertaking establishments, service stations and public garages, and new and used motor vehicle sales and services including used car lots; apartment houses (except units located over a business as a second story); and
(3) Similar uses which in the opinion of the Board of Zoning Adjustment would be detrimental to the development of the Central Business District as a retail shopping area.
(C) Required yard areas:
(1) Rear yard depth: all buildings and structures shall have rear yard depths of at least 12 feet; and
(2) Side yard width: all buildings and structures on lots adjacent to residential districts shall be located so as to conform on the adjacent side with the side yard requirements of the residential district.
(D) Height: no building or structure shall exceed four stories of 50 feet in height.
(E) Off-street loading space:
(1) The requirements of § 155.011 above shall be observed.
(2) Parking standards:
(a) The tavern requires a minimum parking availability of one space per 60 square feet;
(b) The retail package liquor sales and retail malt beverages sales requires a minimum required parking of one space per 400 square feet; and
(c) Table restaurants SA require a minimum require the same parking as an other restaurant of the same size.
(F) Obstructions of streets and alleys: facilities and installations utilized in the operation of a business establishment shall be set back from any street or alley so that any service rendered by the business establishment will not obstruct the street or alley.
(G) For parcels on which liquor and/or malt beverage sales or production is otherwise authorized:
(1) Minimum frontage - 150 feet each street frontage.
(2) Minimum front yard setback - 40 feet.
(3) Minimum side yard setback - 30 feet.
(4) Minimum rear yard setback - 30 feet.
(5) The city has an interest in preserving the character of the area and older buildings in the Central Business District which sometimes have zero lot lines or are otherwise in close proximity to each other based on historical construction patterns in the downtown area. Accordingly, for good cause shown as to lack of material adverse impact on adjoining properties, pedestrians, or traffic patterns, a variance from the above frontage or setbacks for liquor and/or malt beverage sales or production may be granted in the Central Business District (B-3) by the Board of Zoning Adjustments.
(2000 Code, App. B, § 63) (Am. Ord. 16-09, passed 11-21-2016)