Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) A person is subject to misdemeanor prosecution and punishment in this Municipality if any of the following occurs:
(1) The person commits an offense under the laws of this Municipality, any element of which takes place in this Municipality;
(2) While in this Municipality, the person conspires or attempts to commit, or is guilty of complicity in the commission of, an offense in another jurisdiction, which offense is an offense under both the laws of this Municipality and the other jurisdiction;
(3) While out of this Municipality, the person conspires or attempts to commit, or is guilty of complicity in the commission of an offense in this Municipality;
(4) While out of this Municipality, the person omits to perform a legal duty imposed by the laws of this Municipality, which omission affects a legitimate interest of the Municipality in protecting, governing or regulating any person, property, thing, transaction or activity in this Municipality;
(5) While out of this Municipality, the person unlawfully takes or retains property and subsequently brings any of the unlawfully taken or retained property into this Municipality;
(6) While out of this Municipality, the person unlawfully takes or entices another and subsequently brings the other person into this Municipality;
(7) The person, by means of a computer, computer system, computer network, telecommunication, telecommunications device, telecommunications service, or information service, causes or knowingly permits any writing, data, image or other telecommunication to be disseminated or transmitted into this Municipality in violation of the law of this Municipality.
(b) In homicide, the element referred to in paragraph (a)(1) hereof is either the act that causes death, or the physical contact that causes death, or the death itself. If any part of the body of a homicide victim is found in this Municipality, the death is presumed to have occurred within this Municipality.
(c) This Municipality includes the land and water within its boundaries and the air space above such land and water, and real property outside the corporate limits, with respect to which this Municipality has either exclusive or concurrent legislative jurisdiction. Where the boundary between this Municipality and another jurisdiction is disputed, the disputed territory is conclusively presumed to be within this Municipality for purposes of this section.
(d) When an offense is committed under the laws of this Municipality, and it appears beyond a reasonable doubt that the offense or any element of the offense took place either in this Municipality or in another jurisdiction or jurisdictions, but it cannot reasonably be determined in which it took place, the offense or element is conclusively presumed to have taken place in this Municipality for purposes of this section.
(e) As used in this section, “computer,” “computer system,” “computer network,” “information service,” “telecommunication,” “telecommunications device,” “telecommunications service,” “data” and “writing” have the same meanings as in Section 642.01. (ORC 2901.11)