Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Confinement: Every person who owns, controls, keeps, maintains or harbors hen chickens must keep them confined on the premises at all times in a chicken coop or chicken run while in the city. Chickens are not allowed to be located in any part of the home and/or garage.
(B) Chicken Coops And Chicken Runs:
1. Any chicken coop and run fencing must be consistent with building and zoning codes.
2. No chicken coop or run shall be constructed on any lot prior to the time of construction of the principal building.
3. Chicken coops and runs shall not be in the front or side yard.
4. Any chicken coop or run shall be set back at least fifty feet (50') from any residential structure on any adjacent lots and ten feet (10') from the property line.
5. Any coop or run shall be screened from view with a solid fence or landscaped buffer with a minimum height of four feet (4').
6. All chicken coops must have a maximum size of ten (10) square feet per chicken and must not exceed six feet (6') in total height. Fenced in chicken runs must not exceed twenty (20) square feet per chicken and fencing must not exceed six feet (6') in total height. Chicken runs may be enclosed with wood and/or woven wire materials, and may allow chickens to contact the ground. Chicken runs must have a protective overhead netting to keep the chickens separated from other animals.
7. Chicken coops must be elevated a minimum of twelve inches (12") and a maximum of twenty four inches (24") above grade to ensure circulation beneath the coop.
8. Chicken grains and feed must be stored in rodentproof containers.
(C) Conditions And Inspection: No person who owns, controls, keeps, maintains or harbors hen chickens shall permit the premises where the hen chickens are kept to be or remain in an unhealthy, unsanitary or noxious condition or to permit the premises to be in such condition that noxious odors are carried to adjacent public or private property. Any chicken coop and chicken run authorized under this section may be inspected at any reasonable time by the city animal control officer or other agent of the city. (Ord. 1153, 3-17-2009)