Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Generally. In addition to providing specific standards for every new sign, this chapter is intended to cause every sign in violation of any provision of this chapter to eventually be removed, altered or replaced so as to conform with this chapter. This section shall be used in the regulation of nonconforming signs, in addition to the requirements for nonconformities in Chapter 1272.
(b) Authority to Continue Existing Nonconformities. A permanent sign which is nonconforming, which was erected pursuant to a City permit, which was in place on the effective date of this chapter and which remains or becomes nonconforming upon the adoption of this chapter, or any subsequent amendment thereto, may be continued only in accordance with the following regulations:
(1) Repairs. Ordinary repairs and nonstructural alterations may be made to a nonconforming sign. No structural alteration shall be made in, to or upon such nonconforming sign, except those required by law to make the sign conform to this chapter.
(2) Additions and enlargements. A nonconforming sign shall not be added to or enlarged in any manner, except to make the sign conform to this chapter.
(3) Moving. A nonconforming sign shall not be moved in whole or in part to any other location unless such sign and the use thereof is made to conform to this chapter.
(4) Restoration of damaged signs. A nonconforming sign, which is destroyed or damaged by fire or other cause to the extent that the cost of restoration thereof exceeds fifty percent of the replacement cost of such sign, shall not be restored unless it is made to conform to this chapter. If such damage or destruction is less than fifty percent of the replacement cost, no repair or construction shall be done unless restoration is started within six months from the date of the partial destruction and is diligently pursued to completion.
(5) Discontinuance of use. A nonconforming sign, the use of which is discontinued for thirty days, shall thereafter conform to this chapter.
(6) Change of use. Where a business use or identity associated with a non-conforming sign at the time of the adoption of this chapter thereafter terminates or changes, such termination or change of use shall require termination of the nonconforming sign, and such sign shall thereafter conform to this chapter.
(Ord. 20-13. Passed 4-22-13.)