Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Powers and duties. The City Planning Commission is hereby designated the Planning Commission as specified in the Planning Enabling Act, Public Act 33 of 2008, being M.C.L.A. §§ 125.3801 through 125.3885, as amended, and in § 4, Public Act 207 of 1921, being M.C.L.A. §§ 125.581 through 125.590, as amended and shall perform the duties of the Planning Commission as provided in these acts together with other powers and duties as are given to the Planning Commission by the provisions of this chapter, including authority to act on all matters requiring the approval or recommendation of the Planning Commission and including the power to interpret this chapter.
(B) Authority to approve uses. Whenever in this chapter the lawful exercise or existence of a use requires the approval of the Planning Commission, the Planning Commission is hereby authorized and directed to investigate the matter requiring the approval, to conduct a hearing thereon where required, to make a determination, to either grant or refuse the approval and to do all things reasonably necessary to the making of the investigation and determination, subject to the provisions of this chapter.
(C) Hearing notice. Prior to conducting a public hearing, as authorized in division (B) above, a public notice, stating the time and place of the hearing, shall be posted and served in accordance with the provisions established in § 154.74(G).
(D) Rules of procedure. The Planning Commission is hereby authorized to adopt rules of procedure consistent with the state statutes and the provisions of this chapter.
(E) Surveys and plans. Where the Planning Commission is empowered to approve certain uses of premises under the provisions of this chapter, or in cases where the Planning Commission is required to make an investigation, the applicant shall furnish the surveys, plans or other information as may be reasonably required by the Planning Commission for the proper consideration of the matter in accordance with this chapter.
(F) Hearings. In making any recommendations or approval authorized by the provisions of the ordinance, the Planning Commission shall consider:
(1) Whether there has been a compliance with the provisions of this chapter;
(2) Whether there is proper yard space, parking facilities, loading space, percentage of lot coverage, green belts, size of buildings, lot area and other conditions required by this chapter;
(3) Whether the use involved is in accord with the spirit and purposes of this chapter;
(4) Whether the use involved would constitute a public or private nuisance;
(5) Whether the use involved would disturb or interfere with the natural or planned development of the surrounding neighborhood; and
(6) Whether the use involved would affect the natural or planned drainage system so as to deleteriously affect the surrounding neighborhood.
(Ord. 161, passed 12-10-2001; Ord. 182, § 2, passed 2-13-2012)