Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Signs shall be maintained and be legible.
(B) Sign supports, braces, guys and anchors shall be maintained in a manner so as not to cause a hazard. All signs must be installed in accordance with the most recently adopted building construction code.
(C) Signs may be illuminated internally or externally, unless expressly prohibited elsewhere in this chapter. All lighting shall be enclosed or directed to prevent light from shining onto traffic or residential property.
(D) No sign shall be placed in, upon or over any public right-of-way, alley or other public place, unless otherwise permitted.
(E) No light pole, utility pole or other supporting member shall be used for the placement of any sign unless specifically designed and approved for the use.
(F) No sign shall be placed where it might, due to its position, shape, color or other characteristics interfere with, or obstruct the view of, or be confused with a traffic signal sign or device.
(G) No wall sign shall extend beyond the edge of the wall to which it is affixed or beyond the roof line.
(H) No sign shall be erected over the roof line.
(I) Removal of city-owned trees (trees located on city property or in city rights-of-way) is prohibited for construction of, or visibility to, any sign. Any tree trimming to gain visibility for advertisement, must be approved by the city.
(J) No signs shall be placed on the city-owned trees.
(K) A business shall be allowed window signs which occupy not more than 75% of the window area of each floor level of the business.
(L) Awnings, suspended signs, canopies and marquees are permissible within the right-of-way with the approval of the Zoning Administrator. Awnings may not project over eight feet into the public right-of-way, and have a minimum clearance of eight feet from grade.
(M) “A” frames, sandwich boards and menu signs shall be allowed under the following provisions:
(1) Only one per storefront or per tenant in the Business Districts;
(2) Height may not exceed 42 inches as the sign stands;
(3) Width may not exceed 24 inches;
(4) The sign shall be allowed only during business hours; and
(5) Permits shall be issued on an annual basis, at a fee to be determined by Council. As a prerequisite to the issuance of a new or the renewal of a prior permit, the business owner shall provide proof satisfactory to the city of liability insurance coverage in which the city is a named insured and which provides a minimum of $500,000 in single limit coverage.
(Ord. 167, passed - -2003) Penalty, see § 152.99