Skip to code content (skip section selection)
Nothing in this Chapter shall:
A. Single-Family Dwellings: Apply to the following:
1. The rental, lease, or occupancy of a room in an owner- occupied single-family dwelling, provided the following conditions are met:
a. The owner does not own or have any interest in three (3) or more single-family houses at any one time.
b. The house is sold or rented without the use of a real estate broker, agent or salesperson or the facilities of any person in the business of selling or renting dwellings.
2. Rooms or units in dwellings containing living quarters occupied or intended to be occupied by no more than two (2) families living independently of each other, if the owner actually maintains and occupies one of such living quarters as his or her residence.
B. Religious, Nonprofit Groups: Prohibit a religious organization, association, or society, or any nonprofit institution or organization operated, supervised, or controlled by or in conjunction with a religious organization or society from limiting the sale, rental, or occupancy of dwellings which it owns or operates for other than commercial purposes to persons of the same religion, or from giving preference to such persons, unless membership in such religion is restricted on account of race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, or handicap.
C. Private Clubs: Prohibit a private club not in fact open to the public, which as an incident to its primary purpose or purposes provides lodgings which it owns or operates for other than a commercial purpose, from limiting the rental or occupancy of such lodgings to its members and their guests or from giving preference to its members.
D. Senior Citizen And Handicapped Housing: Prohibit the rental or sale of a dwelling on the basis of age or handicap when such dwelling is authorized, approved, financed, or subsidized in whole or in part by a unit of State, local, or Federal government.
E. Maximum Occupancy: Apply to local, State, or Federal restrictions regarding the maximum number of occupants permitted to occupy a dwelling.
F. Drug-Related Offense: Require the rental or sale of a unit to any person convicted of the illegal manufacture, distribution or use of a controlled substance.
G. Housing For Elderly Or Older Persons: Apply to housing for elderly or older persons.
H. Appraisals: Prohibit a person engaged in the business of furnishing appraisals of real property from taking into consideration factors other than protected class.
I. Underwriting Practices: Prohibit financial institutions from considering sound underwriting practices in contemplation of any loan to any person. Such practices shall include:
1. The willingness and the financial ability of the borrower to repay the loan.
2. The market value of any real estate or other item of property proposed as security for any loan.
3. Diversification of the financial institution's investment portfolio.
J. Maintenance Of Records: Prohibit any person from maintaining records in furtherance of the purposes of this Chapter.
K. Affirmative Marketing: Apply to affirmative marketing plans or programs. (Ord. 92-10, 4-6-1992)