Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Chief: The Fire Department shall be headed by a Chief, who shall be the Administrator, and shall be appointed by the President with the advice and consent of the Board of Trustees. The Chief shall be technically qualified by training and experience and shall have the ability to command men and hold their respect and confidence. The Chief shall reside in the Village. He may be removed from office by the President as provided by statute. (Ord. 87-5, 7-20-1987)
B. Powers And Duties:
1. Generally: The Fire Chief shall have control, subject to the order and direction of the Board of Trustees, of the Fire Department and of all fire apparatus belonging to the Village. Whenever any fire apparatus needs repairing, the Fire Chief shall cause same to be done without delay. The Chief shall be held accountable to the President and Board of Trustees only and shall make written and verbal reports thereto as the President and Board of Trustees may require. All other department companies and officers shall be accountable to the Chief.
2. Formulate Rules And Regulations: The Chief shall formulate a set of rules and regulations to govern the department, which rules and regulations shall be in conformity with the rules and regulations of the Board of Fire and Police Commissioners 1 , and shall be responsible to the President and Board of Trustees for the personnel, morale and general efficiency of the department.
3. Determine Department Composition: The Fire Chief shall determine the number and kind of divisions, platoons and companies of which the Fire Department is to be composed and shall determine the response of such platoons and companies.
4. Conduct Monthly Drills: The Fire Chief shall, at least once a month, conduct suitable drills or instructions in the operation and handling of equipment, first aid, rescue work, salvage, a study of buildings in the Village, fire prevention, water supplies and all other matters considered essential to good firemanship and safety of life and property from fire.
5. Records: The Fire Chief shall see that complete records are kept on all fires, inspections, apparatus and minor equipment, personnel and other information about the work of the department.
a. The Fire Chief shall submit a monthly report to the President and Board of Trustees containing a statistical analysis of the activities of the Firefighting Division, Training Division, Fire Prevention Bureau, Mechanical Division and Personnel Division of the department.
b. The Fire Chief shall make a complete annual report to the President and Board of Trustees within one month after the close of the fiscal year. Such report shall include the information specified in subsection B6a of this section together with comparative data for previous years and recommendations for improving the effectiveness of the department. (1987 Code)
1. See title 2, chapter 1 of this Code.