Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Creation of office. There is hereby established the position of the position of Public Works Director. Except as otherwise provided herein, the Public Works Director shall have administrative supervision and direction over all city utility departments, including, but not limited to, the Electric, Water, Wastewater, Solid Waste, Street, and Park Departments, with additional oversite responsibilities for other departments as determined by the Mayor with advice and consent from the City Council.
(B) Powers and duties. In the performance of his or her role as Public Works Director, the Public Works Director shall have the following duties and powers.
(1) He or she shall have the power, subject to provisions of applicable law, and with guidance and direction of the Mayor, to employ, discipline, and remove all non-elected employees of the city departments over which this position has oversite responsibilities.
(2) He or she shall insure the enforcement of all state, federal, and local laws and ordinances within the city and within its extraterritorial jurisdiction insofar as is necessary to perform duties related to the Electric, Water, Wastewater, Solid Waste, Street, and Park Departments, and any other departments set forth by the Mayor with advice and consent of the City Council.
(3) He or she shall be required to possess all required licenses and/or certificates necessary to carry out the requirements of each department for which he or she is responsible, and/or hire, engage, or otherwise procure the necessary employee(s) with said licenses and/or certificates.
(4) He or she shall be responsible for preparation and management of the budget for each of the departments for which he or she is responsible, and shall be expected to manage the departments adequately within the bounds of said budgets.
(5) He or she shall be responsible for assuring that the day-to-day operations of each of the departments for which the Public Works Director has responsibility are performing adequately and in such a manner as is deemed by the Mayor and Council to be in the best interests of the city.
(6) He or she shall be responsible for attending the scheduled meetings of the City Council and presenting reports as to the activities of each department for which the Public Works Director has supervisory responsibility when requested by the Mayor and/or City Council.
(7) He or she shall perform any other duties and exercise such other powers as the Mayor and Council may from time to time assign.
(C) Appointment and removal.
(1) The position of Public Works Director shall be filled by appointment of the Mayor with consent of the majority of the City Council.
(2) He or she shall serve for periods of one year for a term corresponding wit the terms of the other appointed officials of the city.
(3) He or she may be removed at any time upon notice given by the Mayor and with approval of a majority of the City Council.
(1) The Public Works Director need not be a resident of the city at the time of his or her appointment, but shall become a resident of the city within such reasonable time as the Council and Mayor may allow.
(2) The Public Works Director shall possess all necessary licenses and/or certifications required by law in order to manage the Electric, Water, Wastewater, Solid Waste, Street, and Park Departments, and for any other departments designated by the Mayor and Council. In the event that the Public Works Director lacks any necessary licenses, certifications, and/or credentialing, he or she shall obtain said certifications in a timely manner after hire as allowable by law, but under no circumstances more than one year after hire, or be able to employ the properly licensed, certified, and/or credentialed personnel within the parameters of the department budget(s).
(3) The Public Works Director shall be bondable as with any other elected or appointed official.
(E) Compensation. The Public Works Director shall receive compensation and allowances as the Mayor and Council may prescribe.
(Ord. 968, passed 8-27-2020)