A. Any structure made nonconforming by this title as adopted or amended may be continued so long as it remains otherwise lawful, subject to the following provisions:
1. Such structure may not be enlarged or altered in a way which increases its nonconformity, except as specifically provided for by this title.
2. Should such structure be destroyed by any means to an extent of more than fifty percent (50%) of its replacement cost immediately prior to destruction, it shall not be reconstructed except in conformity with the provisions of this title.
3. Should such structure be moved for any reason for any distance whatever, it shall thereafter conform to the regulations for the zone in which it is located.
4. Such structure may be repaired provided: the work consists only of the repair and replacement of nonbearing walls, fixtures, wiring or plumbing; and where the aggregate costs do not exceed the current assessed value of the improvements; and where the cubic space within the structure as it existed at the time of adoption or amendment of this zoning code is not increased.
5. If provision is made for the termination of such structure or its nonconforming characteristics, any use of such land after the termination date shall conform to the requirements of this title for the zone in which it is located.
B. Notwithstanding any of the foregoing provisions of this section or any other section of this chapter, a nonconforming structure shall not be changed in its utilization to another use in any land use zone until the said structure meets all applicable requirements for new construction for said use under the various ordinances and code provisions of this city then in effect, including but not limited to Building and Fire Code provisions and property development standards for the particular zone.
C. Nothing in this chapter shall be deemed to prevent the strengthening or restoring to a safe condition of any building or part thereof declared to be unsafe by any city or state official charged with protecting the public health or safety, upon order of such official.
(Ord. 425, passed 10-14-68; Am. Ord. 444, passed 7-14-69)