Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Police Pension Board. The Police Pension Board of Trustees shall be elected and perform certain duties with respect to statutory pension funds for the city's police officers pursuant to I.C. 36-8-6 and 36-8-8.
(1982 Code, § 30.03(N))
(B) Fire Pension Board. The Firefighters’ Pension Board of Trustees shall be elected and perform certain duties with respect to statutory pension funds for the city's firefighters pursuant to I.C. 36-8-7 and 36-8-8.
(1982 Code, § (0))
(C) Police Reserve Unit.
(1) The City of Brazil may establish a Police Reserve Unit.
(2) The Police Reserve Unit shall consist of not more than __ persons.
(3) Members of the Police Reserve Unit shall be appointed by the same authority which appoints regular members of the Brazil Police Department.
(4) Any person appointed to the Police Reserve Unit may not be a member of the regular Police Department, but shall have all of the police powers of the regular members except as limited by the rules and regulations of the Department and state law.
(5) Persons serving as police reserves are not eligible to participate in any pension program provided for regular members of the Department.
(6) The authority appointing the persons to the Reserve Unit shall establish rules, regulations and minimum training requirements which shall govern the Police Reserve Unit.
(D) Physical fitness policies for all permanent employees of the Brazil Police and Fire Departments.
(1) (a) All permanent employees of the Brazil Police and Fire Departments shall take physical examinations at least 1 per year, at the cost of the Department.
(b) The Police or Fire Chief shall have the discretion to order any police officer or firefighter to take a physical examination at Department cost if the Police Chief or Fire Chief has reason to believe that the employee needs to be medically examined in order to carry out the duties of that employee.
(c) If an employee refuses or fails to obey the request of the Police Chief or Fire Chief to undertake a physical examination at Department cost, then failure to obey shall be deemed to be a violation of work rules and policy, a knowing violation of a reasonable and uniformly enforced rule of the employer, conduct endangering the safety of self and others, refusing to obey instructions or breach of duty in connection with work which is reasonably owed employer by an employee.
(d) The Police Chief and/or Fire Chief shall not discriminate in carrying out the powers created through the employment policy set forth above.
(e) In the event the employee fails to obey the reasonable request to take a physical examination, then the Police Chief and/or Fire Chief shall, in writing, inform the Brazil Board of Public Works of this refusal and may take disciplinary action against the employee pursuant to applicable law and due process.
(2) The Chief of the Police Department and/or Fire Department shall establish a physical agility test that does not discriminate on the basis of sex and physical agility testing shall, at a minimum, include testing for:
(a) Fear of heights (acrophobia);
(b) Fear of confinement (claustrophobia);
(c) Muscular strength;
(d) Muscular endurance;
(e) Cardiovascular endurance; and
(f) Musculoskeletal flexibility.
(3) The Chief of the respective department also may adopt standards establishing a written aptitude test, however, all tests shall be administered in a non-discriminatory manner and with prior written notice to the employees.
(4) (a) The Police Chief and/or Fire Chief shall be authorized to hire trained instructors for the limited purpose of the aforementioned testing, however all physical agility tests, written aptitude tests and the temporary hiring of trained instructors shall be approved by the Board of Public Works and Safety prior to the administration of testing and hiring.
(b) In the event the Police Chief and/or Fire Chief determines that the employee does not take or pass the physical agility test or written aptitude test, then the Chief shall immediately, in writing, report the facts to the Brazil Board of Public Works and Safety which shall subsequently conduct a hearing on the issue, provided applicable law relative to due process and discipline of Fire Department and Police Department employees are followed.
(5) The Police Chief and Fire Chief shall be authorized to establish any other testing relative to physical fitness or agility of the employee, provided it is administered in an non-discriminatory manner and that other tests are first approved by the Brazil Board of Public Works and Safety.
(Res. 2-1989, passed 6-13-1989)
(E) Salaries of police officers and firefighters. The Common Council shall establish, by proper ordinance, the annual compensation of members of the Police and Fire Departments pursuant to I.C. 36-8-3-3.