Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Parking is prohibited in the following locations. No traffic-control devices are required. No person may park or leave standing any vehicle in any of the following locations:
(1) On any sidewalk or greenway, or on the space between the sidewalk or greenway and the curb, or between the sidewalk or greenway and the street pavement, if there is no curb;
(2) On any alley or private road in a manner or under conditions as to leave available less than ten feet of the width of the street for the free movement of vehicular travel or to block the driveway entrance to any abutting property;
(3) In front of a gate or other accessway (whether closed or opened) that provides access to a town greenway, town park or other town property;
(4) On any town-owned or town-operated property, other than within a marked-off or otherwise designated parking space.
(5) In a town-owned or town-operated leased parking space without a leased parking sticker;
(6) In any metered space without making proper payment therefor;
(7) In any space in a town-owned parking lot, garage, or other parking facility without making proper payment therefor;
(8) In any marked space designated by signage for certain purpose(s) and/or period(s) or duration of time for parking other than for the purpose, period, and/or duration of time authorized;
(9) In any marked-off parking space in a manner that the vehicle is not entirely within the parking space as marked-off;
(10) In a private driveway or in front of a private driveway without the permission of the property owner or tenant;
(11) Unless within a clearly marked-off parking space, within 15 feet of either direction of a fire hydrant (whether or not located in a public right-of-way) or the entrance to a fire station;
(12) In a designated fire lane;
(13) Unless within a clearly marked-off or otherwise designated parking space, within 15 feet of the intersection of curb lines or if none, then within 15 feet of the intersection of street pavement at an intersection of streets;
(14) Within an intersection or on a marked crosswalk;
(15) Unless within a clearly marked-off or otherwise designated parking space, within 30 feet of any traffic-control signal or device installed at an intersection, regardless of whether the vehicle is located within or outside of the public right-of-way;
(16) In any portion of the travel lanes of a street; provided, however, that this prohibition shall not apply to a vehicle stopped or parked in order to deliver goods to or collect goods from a business so long as the standing or parking of the vehicle does not cause substantial obstruction of traffic. "Travel lanes" means portions of a street intended for motor vehicle traffic and not marked, signed, or otherwise designated for parking or loading/unloading;
(17) In any portion of a street specifically designated by markings or signage as a travel lane for pedestrians and/or bicycles; and
(18) In any parking space clearly marked or otherwise designated as reserved for the handicapped, whether on public or private property, unless the driver of or a passenger in the vehicle is handicapped.
(B) The Administrator may install no-parking signs, yellow curb markings or other traffic-control devices to indicate where parking and standing is prohibited as stated in division (A) above, but enforcement of the provisions of this section is not dependent on the installation of the devices.
(C) Parking time limits shall be enforced as indicated by signage, installed parking meters or parking lot pre-pay stations.
(D) Whenever, pursuant to division (B) or (C), the Administrator has installed signs, yellow pavement markings or other traffic-control devices clearly indicating that parking or standing within a specified area is prohibited or is allowed only at certain times or for a certain duration, no person may park any vehicle or permit it to stand contrary to the directions of those traffic-control devices.
(E) The Administrator may mark any street where parking is permitted with lines that indicate the parking space for vehicles and no person may park any vehicle outside the lines.
(F) The prohibitions in this section shall not apply to emergency and public service vehicles whose operators are performing services for which they are responsible.
(G) A vehicle parked in violation of one or more of the provisions of this section may be towed without notice to the owner, and whether or not towing is indicated by signage, if, in the discretion of Police Department or Public Works Department personnel, the vehicle presents a threat to public safety, for example, by hindering rescue vehicle access, blocking traffic, or increasing the chances of a traffic accident.
(Ord. passed 10-20-2016; Ord. passed 2-21-2019; Ord. passed 12-16-2019; Ord. passed 4-15-2021) Penalty, see § 72.99