Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Definition. For the purpose of this section the following definition shall apply unless the context clearly indicates or requires a different meaning:
TOWN PARK. Includes not only the land itself, but recreational facilities and equipment, playgrounds, athletic facilities and equipment, spectator areas, greenways and walking trails, bodies of water used for sporting events, recreational activities, fitness or athletic training areas, picnic areas, shelters and parking areas, signage and all other areas, natural features, facilities, and improvements associated with the park.
(B) The following acts are prohibited in all town parks:
(1) Marking, defacing, disfiguring, injuring, tampering with, displacing or removing any structure, equipment or facilities;
(2) Damaging, cutting or removing any tree, plant or flower;
(3) Depositing any trash or litter, except in receptacles placed for that purpose;
(4) Driving any motorized vehicle, except for motorized wheelchairs, except in areas paved for that purpose or parking areas designated for that purpose;
(5) Consuming or possessing alcoholic beverages;
(6) Possessing a firearm or other dangerous weapon, except by duly authorized law enforcement officers, a public safety employee of the town so authorized by the Town Manager, or an individual who has been issued a permit authorizing the legal carrying of a concealed handgun, who may carry such handgun except in the parks identified in § 100.03 and in the case of athletic fields, except during the periods designated; but as to those parks in which possession of a duly authorized concealed handgun is prohibited, may nevertheless secure the handgun in a locked vehicle within the trunk, glove box, or other enclosed compartment or area within or on his or her motor vehicle even if it is parked in a designated parking area of the park;
(7) Entering, using or remaining within a park between 30 minutes after sunset and 30 minutes before sunrise;
(8) Entering, using or remaining within a park when it has been closed and a sign to that effect is posted at the entrance to the park;
(9) Disturbing or unreasonably interfering with another person who is using the park;
(10) Possessing or using fireworks or any other types of explosive device;
(11) Camping except in areas specifically designated for that purpose; or
(12) Allowing any animal to be at large.
(C) Unless otherwise prohibited by ordinance and so posted, a person (hereinafter “rider”) may ride a bicycle, roller skates, in-line skates, skateboard, coaster, toy vehicle or similar non-motorized vehicle so long as the rider complies with all of the following requirements:
(1) A rider must yield to pedestrians. Pedestrians shall at all times have the right-of-way upon the sidewalk. In the case of any doubt of safe and untouched passage by a pedestrian, a rider shall stop or dismount the device until the pedestrian has passed;
(2) A bicycle rider under the age of 21 must wear a helmet meeting the requirements of § 71.02 of this code;
(3) A rider shall not engage in tricks or other maneuvers involving wheels leaving the ground, except in areas specifically designated for such activity (i.e., a skateboard park as defined in § 100.02 herein); and
(4) A rider shall not ride upon any area other than a sidewalk or greenway path. By way of example only, there shall be no riding upon stairs, courtyards, covered pavilions, gazebos tables, and railings.
(D) The Director of Public Works or his or her designee shall post these rules and regulations at each town park.
(Prior Code, § 102.01) (Ord. passed 8-19-2004; Ord. passed 9-17-2013; Ord. passed --; Ord. passed 1-19-21) Penalty, see § 100.99