Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Policy: It is the declared policy of the City to discourage and prevent discharge of food wastes into the sanitary sewer system when such food wastes could be disposed of in another manner. Where disposal of food wastes, particularly by commercial and institutional users of the system is allowed, the method and manner of such disposal shall be as required in the subsequent portions of this section.
B. Connection Of Food Disposal Units: Domestic and commercial food waste disposal units shall be connected and trapped separately from any other fixture or compartment, except that a continuous waste with a flow directing partition will be acceptable for domestic units. All units may have either automatic or hand operated water supply controls; however, domestic units shall be provided with an approved inlet cover having waterway passages for use during grinding operations.
C. No Discharge Through Grease Interceptor: No waste from a food waste grinder shall be discharged into or through a grease interceptor.
D. Commercial Grinders: Commercial type food grinders shall be provided with not less than a two inch (2") waste line. Each waste line shall be trapped and vented as provided in the Plumbing Code.
E. Food Waste Grinder Requirements: All food waste grinder equipment shall be designed to meet the following requirements:
1. Particle size: One hundred percent (100%) shall pass a no. 2 screen (2-mesh);
2. Ninety five percent (95%) shall pass a no. 4 screen (4-mesh);
3. Fibers shall not exceed two and one-half inches (21/2") in length;
4. Vegetable stems shall not exceed one inch (1") in length, and leaf sections shall not exceed one-half inch (1/2") in the largest dimension;
5. Equipment must be self scouring with no fouling surfaces to cause objectionable odors, freed from electrical or mechanical hazards, and of durable construction;
6. Such food waste grinders shall be installed under and in direct connection with a sink or other approved receptacle, supplied with water and discharged through a trap to a sanitary sewer system.
F. Installation Requirements For Commercial Grinders: Waste grinders and their installation in restaurants, institutions, food processing or storage plants and similar operations shall meet the requirements of this chapter, as well as the Plumbing Code of the City. An installation will be permitted only upon the finding of the Department of Public Works that other methods of disposal are not feasible and that the City sewer system can properly handle the waste.
G. Food Waste Disposal Units Must Comply: The installation, operation and maintenance of any equipment or method to be used for food waste disposal units shall comply with all the provisions of this chapter and the regulations of the building, housing, electrical, mechanical, plumbing and fire prevention ordinances of the City, and if there is any conflict between the provisions of this chapter and the applicable building, housing, electrical, mechanical, plumbing and fire prevention codes and ordinances of the City, such codes and ordinances shall prevail over the provision of this chapter. (1952 Code § 8-11-05.12)