For the purpose of prescribing regulations governing buildings and housing, the city hereby adopts the following: the Minnesota State Building Code (MSBC), established pursuant to M.S. 326B.101 through 326B.194, as they may be amended from time to time, and published in Minnesota Rules Chapters 1300 through 1370, incorporating the Minnesota Plumbing Code and the Minnesota Energy Code, Chapters 4715 and 7670, respectively, of Minnesota Rules, is hereby adopted by reference and shall be administered and enforced as the Building Code of the city.
(a) Mandatory enforcement provisions. The following chapters of Minnesota Rules shall be enforced and administered without change by the city as mandatory provisions of the Minnesota State Building Code:
(1) Minnesota Rules Chapter 1300: Minnesota Building Code Administration;
(2) Minnesota Rules Chapter 1301: Building Official Certification;
(3) Minnesota Rules Chapter 1302: State Building Code Construction Approvals;
(4) Minnesota Rules Chapter 1303: Special Provisions;
(5) Minnesota Rules Chapter 1305: Adoption of the International Building Code (IBC). The adoption of this chapter specifically includes IBC Mandatory Chapters 2 through 33 and 35, except as qualified by the applicable provisions in Minnesota Rules Chapter 1300 and as amended by Minnesota Rules Chapter 1305;
(6) Minnesota Rules Chapter 1307: Elevators and Related Devices;
(7) Minnesota Rules Chapter 1309: Adoption of the International Residential Code (IRC). The adoption of this chapter specifically includes the IRC Chapters 2 through 10, 43 and Appendix Chapter K, except as qualified by the applicable provisions in Minnesota Rules Chapter 1300;
(8) Minnesota Rules Chapter 1311: Minnesota Conservation Code for Existing Buildings. The adoption of this chapter incorporates by reference Chapters 1 through 6 of the 2000 Guidelines for the Rehabilitation of Existing Buildings (GREB) as promulgated by the International Conference of Building Officials. Appendices 2, 3 and 4 of GREB are deleted and not made part of this Code or the MSBC. Also, the guidelines which include Resources 1 through 6 shall not be adopted as part of this Code, except GREB Resource 2, as referenced in GREB § 504.1;
(9) Minnesota Rules Chapter 1315: Adoption of the National Electrical Code (hereafter NEC) currently adopted by the State of Minnesota;
(10) Minnesota Rules Chapter 1325: Solar Energy Systems;
(11) Minnesota Rules Chapter 1341: Minnesota Accessibility Code;
(12) Minnesota Rules Chapter 1346: Minnesota Mechanical Code;
(13) Minnesota Rules Chapter 1350: Manufactured Homes;
(14) Minnesota Rules Chapter 1360: Prefabricated Buildings;
(15) Minnesota Rules Chapter 1361: Industrialized/Modular Buildings;
(16) Chapter 1370: Storm Shelters (Manufactured Home Parks);
(17) Minnesota Rules Chapter 4715: Minnesota Plumbing Code;
(18) Minnesota Rules Chapters 7670, 7672, 7674, 7676 and 7678: Minnesota Energy Code; and
(19) Adoption of the 2012 International Property Maintenance Code.
(b) Optional enforcement provisions adopted. The following chapters of Minnesota Rules, representing optional provisions of the Minnesota State Building Code as provided in part 1300.0060, are hereby adopted by the city without change and shall be enforced and administered by the city as a part of the State Building Code for the city:
(1) Chapter 1306: Special Fire-Protection Systems. The adoption of this chapter shall specifically include the adoption of Chapters 1306.0020, Subpart 2;
(2) Grading, Appendix Chapter J, 2006 Supplements to the 2006 IBC;
(3) Chapter 1335: Flood Proofing Regulations, parts 1335.0600 to 1335.1200; and
(4) International Property Maintenance Code 2012.
(c) Application, administration and enforcement.
(1) Application, administration and enforcement. The application, administration and enforcement of the (MSBC) Code in the city shall be in accordance with M.S. Chapter 326B, as it may be amended from time to time, and all applicable Minnesota Rules to the enforcement of the (MSBC), specifically including Chapter 1300. The City Council, pursuant to M.S. § 326B.133, as it may be amended from time to time, shall appoint a building official who shall attend to all aspects of Building Code administration. The city’s Community Development Department shall be the authorized enforcement agency of the city.
(2) Surcharge. The applicant for a permit required by this chapter shall also pay a surcharge as prescribed by M.S. § 326B.148, as it may be amended from time to time, and Chapter 14 of this code.
(3) Adopted code and rules on file. One copy of the IBC and the IRC and one copy of the Minnesota State Building Code currently adopted by the State of Minnesota, each marked as the official copy, are filed for use and examination by the public in the office of the City Clerk, as provided by M.S. § 471.62, as it may be amended from time to time.
(1958 Code, § 35.01) (Adopted by Ord. 146, passed 4-18-1950; Ord. 147, passed 4-18-1950; Ord. 154, passed 6-5-1951; Ord. 155, passed 6-19-1951; Ord. 158, passed 7-24-1951; Ord. 160, passed 9-4-1951; Ord. 185, passed 7-22-1952; Ord. 190, passed 9-16-1952; Ord. 195, passed 11-25-1952; Ord. 198, passed 12-16-1952; Ord. 11, passed 8-5-1953; Ord. 33, passed 12-22-1953; Ord. 68, passed 7-18-1955; Ord. 81, passed 5-21-1956; Ord. 107, passed 5-20-1957; repealed and new Article added by Ord. 134, passed 4-17-1958; Ord. 239, passed 7-22-1960; Ord. 38, passed 8-7-1961; Ord. 57, passed 12-18-1961; Ord. 63-21, passed 6-24-1963; Ord. 63-24, passed 7-15-1963; Ord. 64-57, passed 7-20-1964; Ord. 66-14, passed 2-21-1966; Ord. 67-52, passed 10-2-1967; Ord. 71-19, passed 3-15-1971; Ord. 71-25, passed 4-19-1971; Ord. 74-5, passed 2-4-1974; Ord. 79-2, passed 1-22-1979; Ord. 81-17, passed 5-4-1981; Ord. 83-55, passed 12-12-1983; Ord. 87-19, passed 3-16-1987; Ord. 91-1, passed 1-14-1991; Ord. 95-17, passed 9-18-1995; Ord. 98-55, passed 11-16-1998; Ord. 2005-27, passed 7-18-2005; Ord. 2006-16, passed 4-17-2006; Ord. 2009-2, passed 2-2-2009; Ord. 2014-9, passed 5-5-2014)