(A)   (1)   The City Engineer shall, when requested by the Mayor or City Council, make estimates of the cost of labor and material which may be done or furnished by contract with the city and make all surveys, estimates and calculations necessary to be made for the establishment of grades, building of culverts, sewers, electric light system, waterworks, power plant, public heating system, bridges, curbing and gutters, the improvement of streets and the erection and repair of buildings and shall perform such other duties as the City Council may require.
      (2)   When the city has appointed a Board of Public Works and the Mayor and City Council have by ordinance so authorized, the Board may utilize its own engineering staff and may hire consulting engineers for the design and installation of extensions and improvements of the works under the jurisdiction of the Board.
(Neb. RS 17-568.01)
   (B)   The Mayor and City Council may employ a special engineer to make, or assist in making, any estimate necessary or to perform any other duty provided for in Neb. RS 17-568.01. Any work executed by such special engineer shall have the same validity and serve in all respects as though executed by the City Engineer.
(Neb. RS 17-568)   
   (C)   The City Engineer shall make a record of the minutes of his or her surveys and of all work done for the city and, when directed by the Mayor and City Council, shall accurately make such plats, sections, profiles and maps as may be necessary in the prosecution of any public work, which shall be public records and belong to the city and be turned over to his or her successor.
(Prior Code, § 1-211)
Statutory reference:
   Duties related to areas to be annexed, see Neb. RS 18-3301
   Duties related to sewerage systems, see Neb. RS 17-150 and 17-919