Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Liquids Drained: All waste, before being placed or deposited in sanitary containers for collection, shall have drained from it all free liquids and may be wrapped and placed in paper or plastic bags.
B. Trimmings, Clippings: Tree trimmings, hedge clippings and similar materials shall be cut to a length not to exceed four feet (4') and securely tied in bundles no more than two feet (2') diameter before being deposited in the can for collection.
C. Grass Clippings, Leaves: Grass clippings, leaves and garden debris, except sod, dirt and rocks, may be placed in the collection can.
D. Removal Of Containers; Nuisances Prohibited: At other than commercial and alley pick up, all containers shall be removed from the curb line of streets and public ways within twenty four (24) hours and unauthorized accumulation of waste on any premises is hereby declared to be a nuisance and thereby prohibited.
E. Prohibited Wastes:
1. Waste collection service is intended to collect normal commercial, industrial, residential and multi-family premises wastes. It is a violation of this chapter for any person to deposit or relinquish for collection or disposal any prohibited wastes identified herein.
2. Customers who are a source of prohibited wastes shall make appropriate arrangements to collect and dispose of the waste.
F. Taking Of Solid Waste Or Recyclables:
1. All waste placed for collection shall be owned by and be the responsibility of the customer until the time of collection. At the time of collection, all trash and recyclable material become the property of the city or franchisee.
2. It is a violation of this chapter for any person to take, examine, uncover, snoop in, separate, gather, collect or salvage materials deposited in waste containers, except with the express permission of the generator of the waste.
G. Theft Of Collection Services:
1. It is a violation of this chapter for any person, except for the owner, occupant or invitee, to place or deposit any materials in or around a waste receptacle provided for the use of a specific business or premises, or in or around the can or container at a residence without permission from such owner or occupant.
2. It is a violation of this chapter for any person to place waste at a premises within the city limits that is not generated at the commercial, residential or multi-family premises.
H. Disposal Of Waste: It is a violation of this chapter for any person to throw, discard or deposit any waste in or upon any street, alley, sidewalk or vacant ground, or in or upon any canal, irrigation ditch, drainage ditch or other watercourse. (Ord. 2089, 1-5-2010, eff. 1-5-2010)