Skip to code content (skip section selection)
All materials and workmanship in the installation of private water service lines and connections to the city water service line shall conform to the following regulations:
A. Permit Required: No person other than one authorized by permit or license from the city shall uncover, make any connections with or opening into, use, alter or disturb any municipal water main, city water service line or appurtenance thereof without first obtaining a written permit from the city. The permit is not to be used until all water installation charges and fees have been paid in full and all required tests have been completed and accepted by the waterworks superintendent.
B. Application For Permit; Fees: To obtain municipal water service, the owner or his agent shall make application on a special form furnished by the city. The permit application shall be supplemented by any plans, specifications or other information considered pertinent in the judgment of the city and requested by the city. A permit and inspection fee may apply if so set by resolution of the city council. Such fee shall be paid to the city at the time the application is filed. The owner or his agent shall pay a connection fee to the city at the time the application is filed. The application fee shall be set by the city council by resolution.
C. Service Line Installation: The owner may request permission from the city to install the water service line, including tap to the city water main, city stop valve, service line, valve, meter vault and cover under private contract. Such installation shall be in conformance with any applicable plumbing codes and state department of environmental quality rules and codes. The installation also shall conform to all city standards for water system construction. When installation of a water service line and appurtenances causes damage to any property, public or private, other than the owner's property, the owner shall be responsible for all repair costs, including repair to streets, sidewalks, curbs, gutters, sewer lines, irrigation facilities, storm drains, lawns, fences, gas lines, other water mains, telephone lines and electrical lines.
D. Old Private Service Lines: Old private water service lines may be used in connection with new buildings only when they are found, on examination and being tested as required by the city, to meet all requirements of this chapter.
E. Conformance With Building And Plumbing Codes; Inspection:
1. The materials of construction of the private water service line and the methods to be used in excavating, placing of the pipe, jointing, testing and backfilling the trench shall all conform to the requirements of the applicable building and plumbing codes and standards as have been or may be adopted by the city.
2. The private water service connection to the city water service line shall conform to the requirements of the applicable building and plumbing codes and standards as adopted by the city.
3. All connections to or extensions of the service line, as previously installed by the city, or under its authorization, shall be made in accordance with the requirements of the state plumbing code for such an installation. The connection of the service line shall be inspected by the city before the installation is backfilled and before the water is turned on for use at the premises.
F. Service Line Size And Location:
1. The private water service line from the building to the point of connection with the city water service line shall be as specified by the water department, city engineer or city building officer. The city shall determine the size of the city water service line and water meter.
2. The alignment of the private water service line from the outlet of the building to the city water service line shall be reasonably straight and perpendicular to the water main and shall be located such that the distance between the water service line and the sewer service line shall be a minimum of ten feet (10').
G. Cross Connection Prohibited: No person shall make or permit the cross connection of any private water supply to a water line that is served by the municipal water system.
H. Notify City For Inspection: The applicant for the city water service line permit shall notify the city when the connection of the private water service line to the city water service line is ready for inspection.
I. Excavations Guarded; Restoration: All excavations for all water service installations shall be adequately guarded with barricades and lights so as to protect the public from hazard. Streets, sidewalks, parkways and other public property disturbed in the course of the work shall be restored in a manner satisfactory to the city.
J. Private Fire Service Connection: The installation of a private fire service connection shall comply in all respects to the requirements for a city water service line and the owner, or his agent, will be required to pay all costs for connection and extension of the facility from the municipal water main.
K. Connections Made By Plumber: The connection of the private water service line to the public water service line and the connection of a private fire service connection to the municipal water main shall be made by a plumber holding a valid license.
L. Meter, Stop Valve And Stopcock:
1. A separate and independent city water service meter and stop valve shall be provided for every authorized water user.
2. To each service pipe there shall be attached at the inside line of the curb a stopcock and key box which shall be paid for by the water consumer and be under the exclusive control of the superintendent of the waterworks. (2003 Code § 9-01-07)