Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Definitions: For the purpose of this section, the following terms shall have meanings respectively ascribed to them in this subsection:
CUSTODIAN: Any person over the age of twenty one (21) years who is in loco parentis to a minor.
GUARDIAN: Any person or other than a parent who has legal guardianship of a minor.
MINOR: Any person under the age of eighteen (18) years.
PARENT: The natural or adoptive parent of a minor.
PUBLIC PLACE: Any street, alley, highway, sidewalk, park, playground or place to which the general public has access and a right to resort for business, entertainment or other lawful purpose. The term "public place" includes, but is not limited to, any store, shop, restaurant, tavern, bowling alley, cafe, theater, drugstore, pool room, shopping center and any other place devoted to amusement or entertainment of the general public. The term "public place" also includes the access to or from the immediate area of the above.
B. Hours Regulated: It is unlawful for any minor to remain, wander, stroll or play in any public place on foot or to cruise about with a set destination in any vehicle in, about or upon any public place in the city between the hours of twelve o'clock (12:00) midnight and six o'clock (6:00) A.M., unless:
1. The minor is accompanied by a parent, guardian, custodian or other adult person having custody or control of such minor;
2. The minor is on an emergency errand or specific business or activity directed or permitted by his parent, guardian or other adult person having the care and custody of the minor; or
3. Where the presence of such minor is connected with or required by some legitimate employment, trade, profession or occupation.
C. Operators Of Public Places: It is unlawful for any person operating or having charge of any public place to knowingly permit or suffer the presence of minors between the hours of curfew designated in subsection B of this section.
D. Custodians: It is unlawful for any parent, guardian, custodian or other adult person having custody or control of any minor to suffer or permit or by inefficient control to allow such person to be on any public place within the city between the hours of curfew designated in subsection B of this section.
E. Exceptions: The provisions of this section do not apply if:
1. The minor is accompanied by a parent, guardian, custodian or other adult person having the care, custody or control of the minor;
2. The minor is on an emergency errand or specific business or activity directed by his parent, guardian, custodian or other adult having the care and custody of the minor; or
3. The parent, guardian or other adult person has made a missing person notification to the police department.
F. Special Events; Custody Procedures: The city council may permit by resolution or motion procedures for advance notice or registration with the city for special events or functions sponsored by churches, schools, clubs or other organizations which require minors to be out at a later time. The city council may also prescribe the procedures for taking into custody minors found in violation of this section. (1993 Code § 14-86)