Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Whenever any street extension, pavement installation, or water main extension is constructed to the town's streets or water system by someone other than the town, the person or entity constructing the extension or installation shall have plans and specifications therefor prepared and stamped by an engineer licensed to practice in the State of Indiana, which plans and specifications are to be included with the application for a building permit.
(B) (1) Prior to issuing a building permit, the Building Commissioner shall verify that the plans and specifications meet or exceed the standards set therefor by the town, and that written approval, as appropriate, of the Michigan City Water Department or any other government agency has been obtained for the construction or installation.
(2) Issuance of the building permit shall be evidence that the Building Commissioner has approved the plans and specifications and obtained copies of the other necessary approvals.
(C) As necessary during construction, and, in any event, before any covering of the work has taken place, the Building Commissioner shall inspect the construction and verify compliance with the approved plans and specifications.
(1) The Building Commissioner shall either issue a written approval of the construction or installation or a written description of any deficiencies in the construction or installation.
(2) Any such deficiencies must be cured promptly.
(3) A failure to do so may be considered by the Building Commissioner to be cause to stop all construction on the related project until such deficiencies are cured.
(D) Upon completion of the above described construction or installation and the issuance of written approval thereof by the Building Commissioner and any other necessary government agency, the street extension, new pavement, and installed water main shall, without more, become the property and responsibility of the town or, in the case of an installed water main, the Michigan City Water Department after it acquires ownership of the town's water delivery system.
(E) (1) Nothing in this section relieves any person or entity from complying with any and all laws, rules, regulations and ordinances applicable to their building project, or to grant the Building Commissioner or anyone else the power to waive any such compliance.
(2) It is the sole responsibility of the permittee to determine the means and methods for any construction and/or installation, and to insure that all design, construction and installation work is done in conformance with all applicable laws, rules, regulations and ordinances.
(F) (1) No occupancy permit shall be issued unless the Building Commissioner has certified, in writing, that he or she has verified that the complete project has been constructed in compliance with this section, all relevant permits, and all applicable laws, rules, regulations and ordinances.
(2) The written verification is to be placed in the town's record for that project and a copy given to the permittee.
(Ord. 09-03, passed 3-16-2009) Penalty, see § 155.999
Water, see Ch. 50
Streets and sidewalks, see Ch. 153