Skip to code content (skip section selection)
No building or structure or premises shall be constructed, located, erected, installed, altered, assembled or used in the Residential District, in whole or in part, for any use authorized in the district except in accordance with the regulations contained in this chapter; in accordance with the bulk regulations herein contained as well as those requirements of the Town of Beverly Shores Building Code:
(A) Maximum height of a building shall be 35 feet (see definitions for "height of building" in § 155.003);
(B) A minimum building parcel width of 100 feet, measured at the lot line bordering an improved street and at the required minimum setback as provided in division (E) below;
(C) (1) A minimum zoning parcel size of 20,000 square feet is required. All parcels less than 43,560 square feet shall have at least 15,000 square feet of moderately well drained or better drained soil, as determined and certified by a soil scientist licensed by the State of Indiana. (see § 155.008(A)).
(2) Regardless of the overall parcel size, only the number of square feet with moderately well drained or better drained soil shall be applied to the formula in division (D) below in determining the maximum house size.
(3) It shall be the responsibility of the applicant to provide evidence of soil suitability and area to the Building Commissioner and the Building and Site Committee as determined by a soil scientist licensed by the State of Indiana;
(D) The aggregate size of structures on a residential, single-family zoning lot may reach a maximum floor area (see definitions of floor area in § 155.003) determined by the following formulas:
(1) For structures on zoning lots 20,000 square feet or larger:
Maximum floor area = 1,750 square feet + (.0775 x square feet on zoning lot with moderately well drained or better drained soil)
(2) For structures on zoning lots less than 20,000 square feet:
Maximum floor area = 16.5% percent of the area of the zoning lot square footage with moderately well drained or better drained soil.
(3) Per division (C) above, the square footage defined as moderately well drained or better shall be determined and certified by a soil scientist licensed by the State of Indiana.
(4) Increases of up to 20% in the maximum floor areas computed above are allowable as follows, in proportion to increases in front yard setback:
A 1% increase in maximum building size is allowed for every 3 feet of additional front yard setback in excess of 15 feet (calculated up to a setback of 75 feet).
(E) A minimum front yard depth of 15 feet;
(F) A minimum rear yard depth of 25 feet for a single-family dwelling and 30 feet for an existing 2-family dwelling;
(G) A minimum side yard width of 15 feet for each side yard for a single-family dwelling and 20 feet for an existing 2-family dwelling;
(H) A single-family dwelling shall have a minimum living area of 1,350 square feet and an existing 2-family dwelling shall have a minimum living area of 2,000 square feet;
(I) Divisions (E), (F) and (G) above shall apply to accessory structures and uses;
(J) (1) Window sills, belt courses and ornamental features may extend a maximum of 8 inches into established and required setbacks as provided in divisions (E), (F) and (G) above.
(2) Eaves, overhangs and covered sidewalks shall not extend more than 4 feet into the required setbacks as provided in divisions (E), (F) and (G) above.
(3) An open, unenclosed porch or paved patio may project into the required setbacks for a distance not exceeding 4 feet; and
(K) The minimum width of a principal building shall be 24 feet.
(L) Lot coverage: maximum of 30% (see definition for lot coverage in § 155.003).
(Ord. 208, passed 12-19-1983; Am. Ord. 07-08, passed 9-10-2007; Am. Ord. 09-04, passed 4-20-2009; Am. Ord. 10-03, passed 6-21-2010; Am. Ord. 2016-11, passed 12-19-2016; Am. Ord. 2021-09, passed 7-20-2021) Penalty, see § 155.999