Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) It shall be unlawful for a person who, by means of a telecommunication or other electronic communication device, willfully either:
(1) Makes any comment, request, suggestion, or proposal which is obscene, lewd, lascivious, filthy, or indecent;
(2) Makes a telecommunication or other electronic communication with intent to terrify, intimidate, or harass, or threaten to inflict injury or physical harm to any person or property of that person;
(3) Makes a telecommunication or other electronic communication, whether or not conversation ensues, with intent to put the party called in fear of physical harm or death;
(4) Makes a telecommunication or other electronic communication, whether or not conversation ensues, without disclosing the identity of the person making the call or communication and with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any person at the called number;
(5) Knowingly permits any telecommunication or other electronic communication under the control of the person to be used for any purpose prohibited by this section; and
(6) In conspiracy or concerted action with other persons, makes repeated calls or electronic communications or simultaneous calls or electronic communications solely to harass any person at the called number(s).
(B) As used in this section, TELECOMMUNICATION and ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATION mean any type of telephonic, electronic, or radio communications, or transmission of signs, signals, data, writings, images, and sounds, or intelligence of any nature by telephone, including cellular telephones, wire, cable, radio, electromagnetic, photoelectronic, or photo-optical system or the creation, display, management, storage, processing, transmission, or distribution of images, text, voice, video, or data by wire, cable, or wireless means, including the Internet. The term includes:
(1) A communication initiated by electronic mail, instant message, network call, or facsimile machine; and
(2) A communication made to a pager.
(C) Use of a telephone or other electronic communications facility under this section shall include all use made of such a facility between the points of origin and reception. Any offense under this section is a continuing offense and shall be deemed to have been committed at either the place of origin or the place of reception.
(D) Any person who is convicted of the provisions of division (A) of this section shall be guilty of an offense punishable as provided in § 10.99 of this code.
(Prior Code, § 11-304) (Ord. 1522, passed 10-4-94; Am. Ord. 1854, passed 7-19-11) Penalty, see § 10.99