Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) This chapter sets forth uniform requirements for the disposal of wastewater in the service area of the publicly-owned wastewater treatment system. The objectives of this chapter are:
(1) To protect the public health;
(2) To provide problem free wastewater collection and treatment service;
(3) To prevent the introduction of pollutants into the municipal wastewater treatment system which will interfere with the system operation, will cause the city's discharge to violate its national pollutant discharge elimination system (NPDES) permit or other applicable state requirements or will cause physical damage to the wastewater treatment system facilities;
(4) To provide full and equitable distribution of the cost of the wastewater treatment system;
(5) To enable the city to comply with the provisions of the Federal Clean Water Act, as amended, and the general pretreatment regulations, 40 CFR 403, as amended, and other applicable federal regulations; and
(6) To improve the opportunity to recycle and reclaim wastewaters and sludges from the wastewater treatment system.
(B) (1) In meeting these objectives, this chapter provides that all persons in the service area of the city must have adequate wastewater treatment either in the form of a connection to the municipal wastewater treatment system or, where the system is not available, an appropriate private disposal system.
(2) The chapter also provides for the issuance of permits to system users, for the regulation of wastewater discharge volume and characteristics, for monitoring and enforcement activities and for the setting of fees for the full and equitable distribution of costs resulting from the operation, maintenance and capital recovery of the wastewater treatment system and from other activities required by the enforcement and administrative program established herein.
(C) (1) This chapter shall apply to the city and to persons outside the city, who are, by contract or agreement with the city, users of the municipal wastewater treatment system.
(2) Except as otherwise provided herein, the plant manager shall administer, implement, interpret and enforce the provisions of this chapter.
(Prior Code, § 17-401) (Ord. 1505, passed 7-6-93)