Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. There are hereby specifically exempted from the tax levied by this chapter:
1. Sale of tangible personal property or services to the United States government or to the state of Oklahoma, any political subdivision of this state or any agency of a political subdivision of the state; provided, all sales to contractors in connection with the performance of any contract with the United States government, state of Oklahoma or any of its political subdivisions shall not be exempted from the tax levied by this chapter, except as hereinafter provided.
2. Sales of property to agents appointed or contracted with by agencies or instrumentalities of the United States government if ownership and possession of such property transfers immediately to the United States government.
3. Sales made directly by county, district or state fair authorities of this state, upon the premises of the fair authority, for the sole benefit of the fair authority.
4. Sale of food in cafeterias or lunch rooms of elementary schools, high schools, colleges or universities which are operated primarily for teachers and pupils and are not operated primarily for the public or for profit.
5. Dues paid to fraternal, religious, civic, charitable or educational societies or organizations by regular members thereof, provided, such societies or organizations operate under what is commonly termed the lodge plan or system, and provided such societies or organizations do not operate for a profit which inures to the benefit of any individual member or members thereof to the exclusion of other members.
6. Sale of tangible personal property or services to or by churches, except sales made in the course of business for profit or savings, competing with other persons engaged in the same or similar business.
7. The amount of proceeds received from the sale of admission tickets which is separately stated on the ticket of admission for the repayment of money borrowed by any accredited state supported college or university for the purpose of constructing or enlarging any facility to be used for the staging of an athletic event, a theatrical production, or any other form of entertainment, edification or cultural cultivation to which entry is gained with a paid admission ticket. Such facilities include, but are not limited to, athletic fields, athletic stadiums, field houses, amphitheaters and theaters. To be eligible for this sales tax exemption, the amount separately stated on the admission ticket shall be a surcharge which is imposed, collected and used for the sole purpose of servicing or aiding in the servicing of debt incurred by the college or university to effect the capital improvements hereinbefore described.
8. Sales of tangible personal property or services to the board of trustees organizations or similar state supervisory organizations of the Boy Scouts of America, Girl Scouts of U.S.A. and the Campfire Girls shall be exempt from sales tax.
9. Sale of tangible personal property or services to any county, municipality, public school district, the institutions of the Oklahoma system of higher education and the Grand River Dam authority, or to any person with whom any of the above named subdivisions or agencies of this state has duly entered into a public contract pursuant to law, necessary for carrying out such public contract or to any subcontractor to such a public contract. Any person making purchases on behalf of such subdivision or agency of this state shall certify, in writing, on the copy of the invoice or sales ticket to be retained by the vendor that the purchases are made for and on behalf of such subdivision or agency of this state and set out the name of such public subdivision or agency. Any person who wrongfully or erroneously certifies that purchases are for any of the above named subdivision or agencies of this state or who otherwise violates this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction thereof shall be fined an amount equal to double the amount of the sales tax involved or incarcerated for not more than sixty (60) days or both.
10. Sales of tangible personal property or services to private institutions of higher education and private elementary and secondary institutions of education accredited by the state department of education or registered by the state board of education for purposes of participating in federal programs or accredited as defined by the Oklahoma state regents for higher education which are exempt from taxation pursuant to the provisions of section 501(c)(3) of the internal revenue code, including materials, supplies, and equipment used in the construction and improvement of buildings and other structures owned by the institutions and operated for educational purposes. Any person, firm, agency or entity making purchases on behalf of any institution, agency or subdivision in this state, shall certify in writing, on the copy of the invoice of sales ticket the nature of the purchases, and violation of this act shall be a misdemeanor as set forth in subsection A9 of this section.
11. Tuition and educational fees paid to private institutions of higher education and private elementary and secondary institutions of education accredited by the state department of education or registered by the state board of education for purposes of participating in federal programs or accredited as defined by the Oklahoma state regents for higher education which are exempt from taxation pursuant to the provisions of the section 501(c)(3) of the internal revenue code.
12. Sales of tangible personal property made by public or private school for grade levels kindergarten through twelfth grade, a public school district, public school board, public school student group or organization or public school district personnel for purposes of raising funds for the benefit of such school, school district, school board, student group or organization. For purposes of this subsection, "public or private school" shall mean any public or private institution of education accredited by the state department of education or registered by the state board of education for purposes of participating in federal programs. Sale of tangible personal property in this subsection shall not include sale of admission tickets or concessions at athletic events. (1998 Code)