Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) The provisions of the State Traffic Code as contained in R.C. §§ 4511.01 to 4511.78, 4511.99 and 4513.01 to 4513.37 do not prevent the municipality from carrying out the following activities with respect to the streets and highways under local jurisdiction and within the reasonable exercise of the police power by the municipality:
(1) Regulating the stopping, standing or parking of vehicles, trackless trolleys and streetcars;
(2) Regulating traffic by means of police officers or traffic-control devices;
(3) Regulating or prohibiting processions or assemblages on streets or highways;
(4) Designating particular streets as one-way streets and requiring that all vehicles, trackless trolleys and streetcars on the one-way highway be moved in one specific direction;
(5) Regulating the speed of vehicles, streetcars and trackless trolleys in public parks;
(6) Designating any street or highway as a through street or highway and requiring that all vehicles, trackless trolleys and streetcars stop before entering or crossing the same, or designating any intersection as a stop intersection and requiring all vehicles, trackless trolleys and streetcars to stop at one or more entrances to such intersection;
(7) Regulating or prohibiting vehicles and trackless trolleys from passing to the left of safety zones;
(8) Regulating the operation of bicycles; provided that no such regulation shall be fundamentally inconsistent with the uniform rules of the road prescribed by this chapter and that no such regulation shall prohibit the use of bicycles on any public street or highway except as provided in R.C. § 4511.051;
(9) Requiring the registration and licensing of bicycles, including the requirement of a registration fee for residents of the municipality;
(10) Regulating the use of certain streets by vehicles, streetcars or trackless trolleys.
(B) No ordinance or regulation enacted under divisions (A)(4), (A)(5), (A)(6), (A)(7), (A)(8) or (A)(10) of this section shall be effective until signs giving notice of such local traffic regulations are posted upon or at the entrance to the highway affected, as may be most appropriate.
(C) Every ordinance, resolution or regulation enacted under division (A)(1) of this section shall be enforced in compliance with R.C. § 4511.071, unless the municipality also enacted an ordinance, resolution or regulation pursuant to R.C. § 4521.02(A) that specifies that a violation of it shall not be considered a criminal offense, in which case the ordinance, resolution or regulation shall be enforced in compliance with R.C. Ch. 4521.
(R.C. § 4511.07) (1997 Code, § 70.25)