Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) The Town of Bainbridge has the authority under I.C. 9-21-1-2 to adopt by ordinance traffic regulations with respect to streets and highways under its jurisdiction so long as they do not conflict with or duplicate the provisions of a state statute.
(B) The Town of Bainbridge, with respect to streets and highways under its jurisdiction and within the reasonable exercise of its police power, has the authority under I.C. 9-21-1-3 to do the following:
(1) Regulate the standing or parking of vehicles;
(2) Regulate traffic by means of police officers or traffic control signals;
(3) Regulate or prohibit processions or assemblages on the highways;
(4) Designate particular highways as 1-ways and require that all vehicles thereon be moved in 1 specific direction;
(5) Regulate the speed of vehicles in public parks;
(6) Designate any highway as a through highway and require that all vehicles stop before entering or crossing the same;
(7) Designate any intersection as a stop intersection and require all vehicles to stop at 1 or more entrances to the intersection;
(8) Restrict the use of highways as authorized in I.C. 9-20-1-3, 9-20-1-4, and 9-21-4-7 through 9-21-4-10;
(9) Regulate the operation of bicycles and require their licensing, including requiring a registration fee;
(10) Regulate or prohibit the turning of vehicles at intersections;
(11) Alter the prima facie or maximum speed limits as authorized in I.C. 9-21-1-3;
(12) Adopt traffic regulations governing traffic control on public school grounds when requested to do so by the governing body of a school corporation; and
(13) Adopt any other traffic regulations as are specifically authorized by I.C. 9-21-1-3 or other provisions of the Indiana Code.
(C) An ordinance or traffic regulation adopted under divisions (B)(4), (5), (6), (7), (8), (9), (10), (11), (12) shall be effective when sign giving notice of the traffic regulation is posted upon or at the entrance to the highway or part of the highway affected, as may be most appropriate.
(D) The Town of Bainbridge has and may exercise any additional powers and authority to adopt traffic control regulations and other regulations with respect to street and highway within the town as have been granted by state statute or regulation.
(1996 Code, § 8-2) (Ord. 1992-6, § 1-10, passed 9-9-1992)