Skip to code content (skip section selection)
The Avon Lake Historical Preservation Commission, hereinafter referred to as the ALHPC, is hereby established as follows:
(1) The ALHPC shall consist of five members, each of whom shall have demonstrated a special interest, experience or knowledge of history, architecture or a related discipline;
(2) At least two of such members shall be preservation-related professional members to the extent such professionals are available in the community (preservation-related professions shall include the professions of architecture, architectural history, history, archaeology, interior design with a specialization in historic preservation, planning or a related discipline);
(3) City Council shall recommend the appointment of three members to the ALHPC, the Mayor of Avon Lake shall recommend the appointment of two members to the ALHPC;
(4) The Avon Lake Planning Commission shall designate one member of said commission as a non-voting liaison to the ALHPC;
(5) The City Council shall designate one member of Council to serve as a non-voting liaison to the ALHPC;
(6) Appointed members shall represent the diverse, geographic makeup of the community;
(7) Appointed members of the ALHPC shall be residents and qualified electors of the City;
(8) Vacancies on the ALHPC shall be filled within sixty days, unless extenuating circumstances require a longer period. The Chairperson will notify the Clerk of Council when a vacancy exists. Any vacancy shall be filled for the remainder of the unexpired term in the same manner that the position was originally filled;
(9) Members shall serve without compensation. With the prior approval of Council, any expense incurred by the Commission or the members thereof in the performance of their duties shall be paid from the Municipal Treasury.
(b) Terms of Office. Length of appointments to the ALHPC shall be two years with staggered terms and with no limits on the number of consecutive appointments. In the first year, two City Council appointees and one Mayoral appointee shall serve a one year term; thereafter, all appointees shall serve two year terms.
(1) At least six meetings per year shall be held at regular intervals, advertised in advance, and held in a public place;
(2) A majority of the membership shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business. A majority of a quorum shall be required to approve any action.
(1) Each January, the ALHPC shall elect a chairperson and recording secretary by a majority vote of the members.
(2) Duties of the ALHPC Chairperson shall consist of preparing the agenda for each meeting; determining the time, place and frequency of meetings and ensuring that all meetings comply with the requirements of Ohio's Open Meeting Laws, Ohio R.C. 121.22 et seq.
(3) Duties of the ALHPC Recording Secretary shall consist of:
A. Taking and maintaining complete files containing all applications granted or denied and written minutes of all meetings which shall be available for public inspection; and
B. Preparing a written annual report of the ALHPC activities, cases, decisions, special projects, etc. to be submitted to the Zoning Administrator, Planning Commission and City Council.
(Ord. 36-2010. Passed 3-22-10; Ord. 83-2013. Passed 6-24-13; Ord. 153-2014. Passed 12-8-14.)