Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) It shall be unlawful for any person to conduct a yard/garage sales as defined in this section within the city limits without first obtaining a yard/garage sale license from the city under the following terms and conditions.
PRIVATE YARD AND GARAGE SALES. Outdoor sales or sales in a garage held on residential premises that includes sale of used personal or household items.
(B) Such activities may be permitted based on the following conditions:
(1) All activities are limited to four per year per dwelling unit.
(2) All activities are conducted in such a manner that no hazards, nuisances, or traffic safety problems are created.
(3) The duration of such a sale shall not exceed three consecutive days, and shall not commence prior to 8:00 a.m. nor continue after sunset.
(4) Set up shall be permitted the day before the sale and clean up or tear down shall be completed on the last day of the sale.
(5) Authorization to conduct such activities is issued in writing by the city Clerk-Treasurers office or designated Code Enforcement Officer and the signed authorization is posted at the sale site.
(C) Signs for the yard/garage sale shall be in accordance with the following provisions: Temporary signs advertising home garage sales, yard sales and the like as differentiated from signs advertising established commercial enterprises, may be erected in any zoning district subject to the following provisions:
(1) The sign may be erected only on the property on which the sale is going to be held - not on telephone poles or trees.
(2) The area of one side of any such sign shall not exceed four square feet.
(3) Only one such sign may be erected on any one piece of property, unless such property fronts on two streets, in which case one sign is authorized on each street frontage.
(4) No off-premises signs to be displayed.
(5) The sign shall be installed no earlier than one week prior to the sale and shall be removed within one day after the activity.
(Ord. 92-12, passed 8-3-92; Am. Ord. 2005-19, passed 12-19-05) Penalty, see § 96.99