Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) An owner of a property that remains a vacant structure or an abandoned structure for at least 90 consecutive calendar days may be liable for a civil penalty in the amount of $500 per vacant structure or abandoned structure, not to exceed $5,000 per structure per year, unless:
(1) Documentation has been filed and approved by the City of Aurora that indicates the owner's intent to eliminate the vacant structure or abandoned structure status of the property;
(2) The owner is current on all property taxes and special assessments; and
(3) At least one of the following applies:
(a) The structure is the subject of a valid building permit for repair or rehabilitation and the owner is proceeding diligently and in good faith to complete the repair or rehabilitation of the structure as defined in the enforcement order;
(b) The structure is:
1. Maintained in compliance with this chapter; and
2. Actively being offered for sale, lease, or rent.
(c) The owner can demonstrate that the owner made a diligent and good faith effort to implement actions approved by the enforcement authority.
(B) If the structure continues to remain a vacant structure beyond the initial 90 days described in division (A) above and the owner does not meet any of the exceptions set forth in this section, the enforcement authority may continue to assess penalties each year on each structure in the following amounts:
(1) $1,000 for the second 90 calendar day period each structure remains a vacant structure or an abandoned structure;
(2) $1,500 for the third 90 calendar day period each structure remains a vacant structure or an abandoned structure;
(3) $2,000 for the fourth and each subsequent 90 calendar day period thereafter each structure remains a vacant structure or an abandoned structure.
(Ord. 2019-002, passed 3-11-19)