Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Pursuant to IC § 5-14-3-3(a)(2), any person may inspect and copy the public records of the City of Aurora during the regular business hours of the City of Aurora. A request for inspection or copying must identify with reasonable particularity the record being requested and must be in writing. The written request must be submitted to the Clerk Treasurer of the City of Aurora.
(B) (1) Pursuant to IC § 5-14-3-3(b), within a reasonable time after the written request is received by the City of Aurora, the City of Aurora shall either:
(a) Provide the requested copies to the person making the request; or
(b) Allow the person to make copies on the agency's equipment or on the person's own equipment.
(2) If the City of Aurora makes copies for the person, said person shall be charged in accordance with the Fee Schedule adopted by division (D) (below) of this section.
(C) Original copies of public records held by the City of Aurora may not be removed from the office of the Clerk Treasurer of the City of Aurora. All copying of public records must occur at the office of the Clerk Treasurer of the City of Aurora.
(D) Pursuant to IC § 5-14-3-8(d), the City of Aurora does hereby establish a fee schedule for the certification and/or copying of public records held by the City of Aurora. Said fee schedule shall be as follows:
(1) Document certification fee. Five dollars per document;
(2) Copy fee. Ten cents per page for copies that are not color copies and $0.25 per page for color copies.
(E) The City of Aurora may not charge a fee if a person requests any of the following:
(1) To inspect a public record;
(2) If the request requires the City of Aurora to search for, examine, or review the public record to determine whether the public record may be disclosed;
(3) To provide an electronic copy of the public record by electronic mail. However, the City of Aurora may charge a fee for the public record transmitted by electronic mail if the fee for the public record is authorized under:
(a) IC § 5-14-3-8(f) or (j); or
(b) IC § 5-14-3-6(c).
(F) If the City of Aurora maintains or contracts for the maintenance of the public record in an electronic data storage system, the City of Aurora shall make reasonable efforts to provide to the person making a request to copy all of the disclosable data contained in the records on paper, disk, tape, drum, or any other method of electronic retrieval if the medium requested is compatible with the City of Aurora's storage system.
(G) If the public record being requested is in an electronic format, the City of Aurora shall provide the public record in either electronic or paper format, at the option of the person making the public records request. However, the City of Aurora is not required to change the format of the public record.
(H) The City of Aurora hereby reserves the right to deny, either in part or in full, any written public records request as permitted by IC § 5-14-3.
(Ord. 2018-004, passed 3-9-18)