Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Definitions. For the purposes of this section, the following definitions shall apply unless the context clearly indicates or requires a different meaning.
CITY. Refers to the city of Aurora;
COUNCIL. Refers to the Common Council of the city of Aurora;
PRECINCT. Refers to the precinct by that name as established by the Board of Commissioners of the County of Dearborn, and as approved by the State Election Board under IC 3-11-1.5, in existence on the effective date of this section.
(B) The Council is composed of five members. Four members of the Council are selected from the districts established under this section. One member of the Council is elected at large by the voters of the whole city. Each voter in the entire city is to vote for one candidate for at large membership and one candidate for each of the Councilmanic districts. The at-large candidate and the candidate from each district receiving the most votes from the whole city shall be elected to the legislative body.
(C) The Council divides the city into the following districts to include the following census blocks, or portions thereof, that are located within the incorporated boundary of the city, for the purpose of conducting elections of Council Members:
(1) Center 1: 2000-2003, 2018, 2040, 2041, 2046, 2047, 2058-2078, 3017-3024, 4000-4015, 4026, 4037, 4040-4047, 4056, 4057.
(2) Center 2: 1000-1005, 1008, 1018-1134, 1036, 2016-2018, 2020-2025, 2030-2032, 2034-2039, 2042-2045, 2048-2057, 3002-3006.
(3) Center 3: 1006, 1007, 1009-1013, 1015-1017, 1035, 1074, 1075, 2000-2002, 2004, 2005, 2008-2012, 2014, 2015, 2080.
(4) Center 4: 3000, 3001, 3010, 3011, 3013-3016, 3027-3040, 3042-3055, 3060-3063, 4017-4020, 4022, 4023, 4029-4036, 4050-4055, 4058-4060, 4063-4066.
(D) If any part of the city is not included in one of the districts established by this section, that territory is included within the district that:
(1) Is contiguous to that territory; and
(2) Contains the smallest population (as defined in IC 1-1-4-5).
(E) If any part of the city is included in more than one of the districts established by this section, that territory is included within the district that:
(1) Is one of the districts in which the territory is described in this section;
(2) Is contiguous to that territory; and
(3) Contains the smallest population (as defined in IC 1-1-4-5).
(F) The Council adopts a map depicting the districts established under this section and incorporates the map by reference into this section. Two copies of this map are filed in the office of the Clerk-Treasurer for public inspection as required by IC 36-1-5-4. If a conflict exists between the districts as depicted on the map and as described in this section, the description in this section prevails.
(G) The Clerk-Treasurer of the city shall forward a signed copy of this section to the Circuit Court Clerk of Dearborn County and shall request the Clerk to include a copy of this section in the records of the Dearborn County Election Board.
(Ord. 2002-15, passed 11-6-02; Am. Ord. 2012-014, passed 12-17-12)