Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) The Traffic-Control File, existing as of the date of passage of this Traffic Code, is incorporated as a part of this Traffic Code. The File shall be prepared and maintained to date by the Police Division.
(b) Unless otherwise regulated by ordinance, the City Manager is empowered to make and enforce regulations necessary to make effective the provisions of this chapter and to make and enforce temporary regulations to cover emergencies or special conditions. The City Manager may amend the Traffic-Control File by regulation, subject to the approval of Council, and Council may do so by ordinance, but no such rule or regulation shall be enforceable until signs, signals or markings are erected or placed in proper position. The Division of Police, upon receipt of a copy of the rules and regulations, shall record the information on the File to conform with the rules and regulations. Council, by ordinance, and the City Manager, by rule adopted by him and kept on file in the office of the Clerk of Council, shall have the power, subject to the approval of Council:
(1) To designate the streets or highways or parts thereof upon which there shall be no stopping, standing or parking of vehicles, or upon which there shall be stopping, standing or parking for a limited time or during certain hours.
(2) To establish parking meter zones, and to place and maintain traffic-control devices and parking meters, painted or otherwise marked safety zones, traffic, parking and no parking lanes, curbs or areas, crosswalks for pedestrians, "no parking," "no U-turns," "no left turn," "one way," or "stop" signs or signals, or such other traffic signs, signals or standards consistent with the provisions of this Traffic Code as he may deem necessary for the proper control of traffic or the parking of a vehicle.
(3) To permit angle parking in designated places.
(4) To establish one-way streets.
(5) To close any street, alley or portion of the same to traffic or to divert such traffic therefrom.
(6) To prohibit left-hand or right-hand turns by vehicles at intersections of streets, at intersections of alleys with streets, and at intersections of commercial driveways with streets.
(7) To establish fire routes.
(8) To designate those streets on which parking may be allowed in the nighttime without lights.
(9) To establish shipping zones and prohibit parking in such zones, except for loading and unloading of merchandise.
(10) To designate alleys or parts thereof upon which use by heavy trucks, as defined herein, may be restricted or prohibited:
A. "Heavy trucks" mean a motor truck, trailer or semitrailer the total weight of which is three tons or more.
B. Proper signs shall be erected and maintained at the entrance to alleys or parts thereof designated by the City Manager, upon which the use of heavy trucks has been restricted or prohibited.
(11) To determine those portions of any street or highway where overtaking and passing other traffic or driving left of the center or center line of the street or highway would be especially hazardous, and by appropriate signs or markings on the highway indicate the beginning and end of such zones. Where such signs or markings are in place and clearly visible, every operator of a motor vehicle shall only obey the directions thereof, notwithstanding other provisions of the Traffic Code.
(12) No rule or regulation shall allow or permit parking under any circumstances or at any time:
A. Upon a fire route;
B. In the space between a safety zone and the curb nearest thereto;
C. On a crosswalk; or
D. Within ten feet of the curb nearest a fire hydrant.
(1980 Code 70.27; Ord. 6659)
CITY OF ASHTABULA