Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Establishment; powers; membership; Joint Board and District.
(1) If the Legislative Authority determines that the power to equip, operate and maintain parks, playgrounds, playfields, gymnasiums, public baths, swimming pools or recreation centers shall be exercised by a Recreation Board, it may establish such a Board, which shall possess all the powers and be subject to all the responsibilities of the respective local authorities under R.C. §§ 755.12 through 755.18. The Board shall consist of five persons, two of whom shall be members of the Board of Education of the Municipal School District or shall be appointed by that Board of Education. The other members of the Recreation Board shall be appointed by the Mayor, as executive of the municipality, with the consent of the Legislative Authority. The members who are Board of Education members and members appointed by the Board of Education shall be residents of the school district making the appointment, but need not be residents of the municipality. All other members of the Board shall be residents of the municipality. All members of the Board shall serve for terms of five years, except that the members first appointed shall be appointed for such terms that the term of one member shall expire annually thereafter. Members of the Board shall serve without pay. Vacancies on the Board, occurring otherwise than by expiration of term, shall be for the unexpired term and shall be filled in the same manner as original appointments.
(2) The legislative authorities of the municipal corporations, boards of township trustees of the townships, boards of township park commissioners, boards of county commissioners of the counties, and boards of education of the school districts joined in the operation and maintenance of parks or recreation facilities under R.C. § 755.16 may, by resolution, establish a Joint Recreation Board which may possess all the powers and be subject to all the responsibilities of the respective local authorities under R.C. §§ 755.12 through 755.18. The resolutions shall specify the number of members of the Joint Recreation Board and the method of appointing members and filling vacancies. Members of the Board shall serve without pay.
(3) If the municipality joins in the operation and maintenance of recreation facilities under R.C. § 755.16, the Legislative Authority may, by resolution, establish a Joint Recreation District, consisting of all the territory of the subdivisions so joined. The Joint Recreation District Board of Trustees shall be the governing body of a District and shall possess all the powers of a Legislative Authority of an individual subdivision under R.C. §§ 755.12 through 755.18. Subject to R.C. § 755.141, the number of Trustees shall be fixed by the resolutions creating the District and may be any number so long as there is representation of all participating subdivisions.
(R.C. § 755.14) (Rev. 2011)
(B) Organization of boards.
(1) The members of Boards established pursuant to division (A) of this section shall elect their own Chairperson and Secretary, shall select all other necessary officers to serve for a period of one year, and may employ such other persons as are needed. Such Boards may adopt rules for the conduct of all business within their jurisdiction.
(2) A Joint Recreation District Board of Trustees formed pursuant to division (A)(3) of this section shall appoint one of its members or employ another as fiscal officer of the District.
(R.C. § 755.15) (Rev. 2002)