Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) (1) Except as described in division (A)(2) of this section, all retail sales of 1.4G fireworks by a licensed manufacturer or wholesaler shall only occur from an approved retail sales showroom on a licensed premises or from a representative sample showroom as described in this section on a licensed premises. For the purposes of this section, a retail sale includes the transfer of the possession of the 1.4G fireworks from the licensed manufacturer or wholesaler to the purchaser of the fireworks.
(2) Sales of 1.4G fireworks to a licensed exhibitor for a properly permitted exhibition shall occur in accordance with the provisions of the Ohio Revised Code and rules adopted by the State Fire Marshal under R.C. Chapter 119. Such rules shall specify, at a minimum, that the licensed exhibitor holds a license under R.C. § 3743.51, that the exhibitor possesses a valid exhibition permit issued in accordance with R.C. § 3743.54, and that the fireworks shipped are to be used at the specifically permitted exhibition.
(B) All wholesale sales of fireworks by a licensed manufacturer or wholesaler shall only occur from a licensed premises to persons who intend to resell the fireworks purchased at wholesale. A wholesale sale by a licensed manufacturer or wholesaler may occur as follows:
(1) The direct sale and shipment of fireworks to a person outside of this state;
(2) From an approved retail sales showroom as described in this section;
(3) From a representative sample showroom as described in this section;
(4) By delivery of wholesale fireworks to a purchaser at a licensed premises outside of a structure or building on that premises. All other portions of the wholesale sales transaction may occur at any location on a licensed premises.
(5) Any other method as described in rules adopted by the Fire Marshal under R.C. Chapter 119.
(C) (1) A licensed manufacturer or wholesaler shall only sell 1.4G fireworks from a representative sample showroom or a retail sales showroom. Each licensed premises shall only contain one sales structure.
(2) A representative sample showroom shall consist of a structure constructed and maintained in accordance with the Nonresidential Building Code adopted under R.C. Chapter 3781 and the Fire Code adopted under R.C. § 3737.82 for a use and occupancy group that permits mercantile sales. A representative sample showroom shall not contain any pyrotechnics, pyrotechnic materials, fireworks, explosives, explosive materials, or any similar hazardous materials or substances. A representative sample showroom shall be used only for the public viewing of fireworks product representations, including paper materials, packaging materials, catalogs, photographs, or other similar product depictions. The delivery of product to a purchaser of fireworks at a licensed premises that has a representative sample structure shall not occur inside any structure on a licensed premises. Such product delivery shall occur on the licensed premises in a manner prescribed by rules adopted by the State Fire Marshal pursuant to R.C. Chapter 119.
(3) If a manufacturer or wholesaler elects to conduct sales from a retail sales showroom, the showroom structures, to which the public may have any access and in which employees are required to work, on all licensed premises, shall comply with the following safety requirements:
(a) A fireworks showroom that is constructed or upon which expansion is undertaken on and after June 30, 1997, shall be equipped with interlinked fire detection, fire suppression, smoke exhaust, and smoke evacuation systems that are approved by the Superintendent of Industrial Compliance in the Department of Commerce.
(b) A fireworks showroom that first begins to operate on or after June 30, 1997, and to which the public has access for retail purposes shall not exceed 5,000 square feet in floor area.
(c) A newly constructed or an existing fireworks showroom structure that exists on September 23, 2008, but that, on or after September 23, 2008, is altered or added to in a manner requiring the submission of plans, drawings, specifications, or data pursuant to R.C. § 3791.04, shall comply with a graphic floor plan layout that is approved by the State Fire Marshal and Superintendent of Industrial Compliance showing width of aisles, parallel arrangement of aisles to exits, number of exits per wall, maximum occupancy load, evacuation plan for occupants, height of storage or display of merchandise, and other information as may be required by the State Fire Marshal and Superintendent of Industrial Compliance.
(d) A fireworks showroom structure that exists on June 30, 1997, shall be in compliance on or after June 30, 1997, with floor plans showing occupancy load limits and internal circulation and egress patterns that are approved by the State Fire Marshal and Superintendent of Industrial Compliance, and that are submitted under seal as required by R.C. § 3791.04.
(D) The safety requirements established in division (C) of this section are not subject to any variance, waiver, or exclusion pursuant to this chapter or any applicable building code.
(R.C. § 3743.25) (Rev. 2013) Penalty, see § 91.99